Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Klon centaur?

It's not for everyone.

And I prefer to use my Klon clone with my Strats.

My ES-335 with humbuckers doesn't need it.

With my Strats I can turn the guitar's volume down to 1/2 way and my sound cleans up without having to turn the pedal off or without losing all my treble and sounding muddy.

When I turn my Strat's volume control back up again, or to any point between 1/2 way and full up, I get different degrees of overdrive again.

Not saying that there are no other pedals that will do much the same thing.

Just that of all of the overdrive pedals that I've owned, the Klon (or in my case one of my three AF1's) works for me and my Strats, and through my old Fender amps, better than anything else I've owned.

I've been playing about 50 years now.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
      It's not for everyone.

And I prefer to use my Klon clone with my Strats.

My ES-335 with humbuckers doesn't need it.

With my Strats I can turn the guitar's volume down to 1/2 way and my sound cleans up without having to turn the pedal off or without losing all my treble and sounding muddy.

When I turn my Strat's volume control back up again, or to any point between 1/2 way and full up, I get different degrees of overdrive again.

Not saying that there are no other pedals that will do much the same thing.

Just that of all of the overdrive pedals that I've owned, the Klon (or in my case one of my three AF1's) works for me and my Strats, and through my old Fender amps, better than anything else I've owned.

I've been playing about 50 years now.
      That's fine and we're not saying that people shouldn't use the Klon but some of the legendary status and mystique surrounding it I think comes from the fact that its so rare rather than everybody actually thinking it's so good. There's a certain amount of "I spent so much on this pedal so it has to be good." Once again we're not saying you shouldn't use it, but people need to stop saying you need to use it.
      Last edited by Johnny the Kid; 05-09-2015, 11:13 AM.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        I'd put a true EP3 preamp up against a Klon dude-horse any day of the week.
        Hmmm....but have you?

I have.

At least I've compared the EP Booster because I have both.

Also compared my AF1 Klon clone to a Zendrive and King of Tone because I've owned both of those too.

And a TS9 and a TS808 because I've also owned those two.

They're all wonderful pedals. I just prefer the Klon.

Also, since some say that there's no good demos of the Klon, here's a good one:
        Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-09-2015, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
          Hmmm....but have you?

I have.

At least I've compared the EP Booster because I have both.
          I have not tried the Klon (but I still stand by my statement).

I have tried the xotic EP Booster (which I sold) and own 2 (different make) true EP3 preamps.

There's a big difference.

Mainly, the xotic EP Booster is not a true EP3 preamp.

Just like many others out there that claim to be Echoplex preamps (but don't use the correct chip or high enough voltage).

The Echoplex EP-3 (original/real) uses a TIS58 chip running at 24 volts.
          Last edited by LLL; 05-09-2015, 05:36 PM.

Comment

A Klon Clone is like ******* with a rubber. Sure, its great, but its nothing like the real thing. Jonsers Klon is one of the most enviable things in his entire impeccable collection. Its only worth as much as it is because its inimitable, iconoclastic, and in short, one of the world best ever overdrives that cannot ever be replicated. To think otherwise is purely delusional.
            He knows he would be a fool to sell it..its a betetr investment than gold, and IMO will skyrocket in price w/in the next ten years.
            Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-09-2015, 05:44 PM.
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I've owned several.

Original Echoplex's I mean.

Sold one to TGWIF a few years ago. I use an old EH Memory Man now. Gotta couple of them.

I kind of like the EP Booster, especially with my ES-335.

With a Strat and with single coils I like my PE Klon clone (AF1) better.

Some guys love the Klon...some don't.

Scott Henderson doesn't. Says it has to much gain.

Others say it doesn't have enough gain. Metalheads I would guess.

It's just right for Jeff Beck.

And for me too.

But I don't care for it with humbuckers.

Only with Strats with single coils.

YMMV.
              Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-09-2015, 06:39 PM.

Comment

It's kind of the same thing as Rupert Neve's recording consoles. Sure, there's lots of mixing boards, but his is the one with the magic.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Joe, in post #13 you list your top OD pedals. That was 5 years ago. Any new additions, or is it still pretty much the same?

Comment

There's so many flavors, and ones that are better with clean amps, and ones that are better with overdriven amps.

There's a few I'd add to the list, like the Barber LTD, CMatmods Brownie and Sigma, Bogner Red and Blue, Xotic RC Booster, Wampler Euphoria, and a few from Mad Professor like the Bluebird.
                    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-09-2015, 11:22 PM.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                      The only real hiccup in collectible gear may be studio rack gear that really should be destined for collectibility, but may not be, simply because the future of recording is in software.
                      Side note - I have a few rack pieces that no software or pedal has been able to reproduce the sound of with the exact same quality and frequency response. The only down side to some gear of previous eras is that the era it was made in didn't have balanced outs or a low enough noise floor, etc., such that, while it sounds amazing, it's flaws are more apparent in current recording. Of course, for distortion boxes, this is far less of a concern.

I'm a bit mind-blown how close these sound to each other (in the videos at least):
                      Get yourself a Soul Food at Sweetwater: https://imp.i114863.net/qPZ6qOr Thomann: https://bit.ly/soulfoodlrgdBudget klone from EHX!Contact: livingroomgear@gma...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by beaubrummels; 05-10-2015, 01:17 AM.

Comment

I don't believe we are here again. There are a ton of pedals that blow away the Klon Centaur. Even it they were still the original price there are pedals out there that spank them for less money.

Comment

Working...
                        X