Yep, I Hate Fuzz Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, I Hate Fuzz Pedals

I love the fuzz sounds other people get with fuzz boxes, but I hate using them. I just got a Selah Misty Mountain fuzz kind of as a last attempt at trying out another boutique fuzz pedal, and it is a really, really good pedal. It's among the best I have tried, with the Selah or Bonamassa possibly being my favorites, but after tinkering with them they just bother me. I start to hate the tone. Then they do this kind of thing that sounds like there's an overpowered noisegate and they feel like you are playing one of those little battery powered micro amps with a low battery.

I'm not bashing fuzz pedals because, like I said, they sound great when other people use them. I just personally can't stand them. I also don't see the need for every boutique builder to make ten different versions of them. It seems like a new fuzz pedal comes out every week. I don't know. Maybe there is something I don't know about using them or maybe I'm using them wrong. The natural fuzziness of Orange amps pleases me, but anything more is just not appealing. I'm going to sell my fuzz and finally move on from trying to make one stay on my pedal board.

Re: Yep, I Hate Fuzz Pedals

What type of Fuzz tone were you aiming to achieve?
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Which Orange do you have? I know my OR-15 doesn't bond welll with some pedals, where my Mesa might sound great with them. I mostly play my Orange dry.....love its tone, though I am on the hunt for a nice verb pedal for it.

Comment

I'll tell you why there's a billion fuzz pedals; they're dirt cheap to make. They're about the lowest part-count pedals you can find, especially Fuzz Faces. If you can tune a silicon Fuzz Face to sound relatively good, and then stick a tonestack on it you can can turn a huge profit on the parts. Just call it something lurid like "boner popper supreme" or something and paint it ugly.
        Originally posted by Funkfingers
        Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I dislike using them because it sounds muddy and not very smooth to my ears. Others have had way more success with them than I have (nearly any hard rock/heavy metal band from the '70s) but I don't like them for what I do.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I completely understand. I have a Black Art Toneworks Pharaoh and it sounds great, is very versatile, and it's fun to play with, but I don't like using it for some reason. It's like the notes feel too fat when I hit single note lines. Normally I would think that 'thickness' would be something I'd like, but ... not so much. It is my third fuzz and I've had a similar reaction to all. I will buy more though. It is just one facet of a serious pedal addiction.
            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Fuzzes take a while to learn. Usually require a lot of volume and tone knob usage on the guitar for them to sound cool to me. I've pretty much stopped using any other sort of gain pedal, as my amp sounds nicer usually . . . But it can't do a decent fuzz tone.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Good to hear these things because I share similar beliefs. Fuzz just isn't for me. I guess I was just trying to find an excuse to keep this one or get a Bonamassa fuzz, but it just ain't going to do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  Fuzzes take a while to learn. Usually require a lot of volume and tone knob usage on the guitar for them to sound cool to me. I've pretty much stopped using any other sort of gain pedal, as my amp sounds nicer usually . . . But it can't do a decent fuzz tone.
                  This. It is also important to realize that fuzz doesn't work for all rigs or all people. My biggest struggle with fuzz is cutting through in a band mix.
                  Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

I've got same relation love/hate with fuzzes.
                    The issue is that old school fuzzes work fine if your amp can be really kranked, otherwise, you tend to overdo the fuzz effect and, what you get is a synthetic wall of sound that isn't pleasant to the hearing.
                    Also, germanium fuzzes, that well tweaked sound more organic than silicon ones, have lots of drawbacks and are highly unestables.
                    If you put a wah in front, and you have a vintage-alike fuzz, you ruin your fuzz. They are usually a headache to be inserted in your pedalboard.
                    They don't sound the same with different axe or / and different amp...

So, I love fuzz sound when I can achieve it but, this becomes difficult when swapping the amp or the axe.
                    I gave up looking for my fuzz, for a long time.
                    My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                    My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

its like playing a different instrument when you switch on the fuzz

not everyone can play every instrument! For instance I admire drummers but ya not gonna happen any time soon, its like learning a whole new language...

Comment

I have a RussiAn Muff and it kills. I'm not kidding either..its a lethal weapon. Sounsd amazing through a Marshallesque amp.
                        I recently picked myself up a reish' Dunlop fuzzface, modified with old skool carbon resistors and a couple other old parts. It sounds promising, but I havent totally checked it out yet. I rather talk about it here, then actually play it obviously.
                        Last edited by MetalManiac; 04-12-2014, 10:08 PM.
                        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I have a major announcement!!!

This is no joke. I got a Selah fuzz pedal after watching a few video demos. It sounded awesome in the videos. The last fuzz I tried was a Catalinbread 60's fuzz and hated it. This one came in and I was expecting a lot better but it didn't sound good. While fiddling with my Bogner foot switch (which is the 3rd to fail), I knocked over my Selah fuzz and the LED light got real bright all of the sudden. I was thinking "man if this thing broke that easily then I'm going to sh***." so I plugged it in to test it and it sounded freaking amazing. I ran it through 3 amps: 20th XTC, 20th Shiva, Hot Cat 30. No problem at all. It sounds amazing. It's not a crappy fuzz like the Catalinbread, Chandler limited edition germanium or Dunlop mini crap I tried once. This is almost like a smooth overdrive, very Orange-like. It feels great to play and not like the typical fuzz. I'm not a fuzz expert but it seems different than what I like. The controls work better than the did at first, and the noise gate works like a charm. This pedal is very, very cool. I think I am going to keep it, so here I am with my foot in my mouth kinda.

Comment

Well, that's good news.

Now I don't feel so bad about ordering a Skreddy J19 tomorrow.
                            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                              Well, that's good news.

Now I don't feel so bad about ordering a Skreddy J19 tomorrow.
                              I've heard great things about Skreddy's muff clones. If I didn't have what I feel is the mother of all muffs (seriously, no pun intended) I would definitely have some of his offerings.
                              Custom neck-thru strat
                              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                              1995 PRS CE24
                              D'avanzo #8
                              Breedlove Solo Concert
                              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Working...
                              X