banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's REVIEW those pedal boards you are using right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Cardinal pedal? Some kind of Catholic reference? Now for the Worship assessment. Contrary to what you may think...I have quite a few friends who play in worship bands, and have seen a number live. So....how does this rate as a Worship board? And I'm not recommending an all Strymon board either. But none of the current ones will survive....So bow your heads and pray as I lay penance down on you. Father Aceman does not forgive you Billie, for you have sinned...

Lets start with the switcher. Boss? Seriously? Gig Rig G3. That is a righteous switcher! Or, for more orthodox gigs - try the Musicom Lab Mk V

So, the SP Comp is a major fail. Cali 76 going in, Cali 76 going out. No excuses. MXR? WTF?!?!?!?!

No Phaser. This is Worship of G.O.D. - not Worship of E.V.H. lose it. Donate the stupid amount of money to the holiday charity bowl outside Walmart. But...if you MUST have modulation, we'll go with the Alexander Wavelength.

Now for the drives. You will need three:
    1. Earthquaker Palisades - Because, Earthquaker bro, Earthquaker. As in Wrath and Fury. The Suhr is some evil distortion idol from another land. Fail.
    2. Origin RevivalDrive - If for no other reason the ghost note function - as in HOLY ghost. Seriously.
    3. J Rocket Archer Ikon for the Klon clone. Or at least a freaking Tumnus. I can't believe you didn't at least get a Sold Food instead of the Sugar Drive. Seriously....

I know this give s like 5 plus...you want your drives to match your reverbs and delays in quality right? Well this does it.

Ambiance....

Straight up

Memory man is forgotten as we replace it with a Strymon Timeline.
    Sky Fi is now Strymon Blue Sky

Was there ever any doubt as to these?

As for the Torpedo Cab, that's nice for audio geeks, but that's not what this board is for. So that will get swapped out for a Strymon Iridium; The Sweetwater Silver edition.

You want a righteous tone that will make the Angels weep? You want to truly express the epic musical nuances of a Hillsong tune? You want the respect of Strymonites, and generic Christian pop artists alike? The board I described will bring it like the second coming.

Anyway - the board as is...not much of a snowball's chance in hell there. To sum it up, toss it in the lake of fire. Yes - Jesus hung out with beggars and prostitutes, but honestly, this looks like a board used for homeless church under an overpass.
    This was very good lol

I evidently struggle with the worship pedalboard stereotype.

I could use a Cali at the beginning. And I’m sold on the Tumnus Deluxe.

And I’m actually thinking of swapping the DMM for and El Capistan lol. It’s nice but it doesn’t match the sound of my big box.

And I didn’t like the Big Sky but would you approve of an Eventide Black Hole?

Thank you, father Aceman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blille View Post

LOL man, I came for the entertainment but I actually mostly agree with you. Thank you for taking the time.

You really prefer the Wampler Ego to the SP? I use the SP in a mild setting but I can squeeze a bit more every now and then and it sounds… like any other Ross clone. I could have put a straight dyna comp. I love compressors so if the Ego is unique and you were not just messing up with me I may give it a try. The MXR is excellent at the end of the chain.

I used to have a Tumnus on the board but the bass was too much. Back then I went into a 5e3 and it was bad. I tried the archer and a bunch of others… but I ended up with the sugar drive. Worst name ever. Agreed. I may try the Tummus Deluxe and use the extra space

I love two stage phasers and tried and have a lot and the Skreddy is by far my favorite. Nice eye, not many folks recognize it. I got it on a trade if you must know

Thanks for the kind words <3
      As boards in this thread go - this one is pretty on point. Look back at some of the garbage racks presented. I did neglect to mention the alignment of the smaller pedals...A little off kilter geometrically...but again - minor issue.

Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This was very good lol

I evidently struggle with the worship pedalboard stereotype.

I could use a Cali at the beginning. And I’m sold on the Tumnus Deluxe.

And I’m actually thinking of swapping the DMM for and El Capistan lol. It’s nice but it doesn’t match the sound of my big box.

And I didn’t like the Big Sky but would you approve of an Eventide Black Hole?

Thank you, father Aceman.
        My son, we all struggle against the temptation of cheap tone. We are distracted and deceived by Satan, and his minions; Boss, MXR, Ibanez, and others. We spend our dollars saved elsewhere on food, housing, clothes, and other earthly trappings. But to truly create a heavenly sound, we must set these things aside, to purchase from the tonal apostles; Strymon, Earthquaker, Empress, Origin, Source Audio. This is how we show our love - in exquisite pristine holy tone.

There are many things we don't like - but often those that are good for us taste the most bitter. The Tumulus Deluxe and El Capistan will do.

Play "Oceans" three times, and fix your board. Jesus loves you and God loves you. You know this because God created Strymon. Do not forsake his heavenly tonal gifts. You are forgiven.

As soon as that Sugar Tone is gone and a Strymon box shows up on there.
        Last edited by Aceman; 12-14-2021, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• My Christmas gift. My entire rig. Do your worst if you dare.

​​​​​​
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            My Christmas gift. My entire rig. Do your worst if you dare.

​​​​​​
            What analog delay is it?

Comment

What analog delay is it?
              MXR Carbon copy
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My Christmas gift. My entire rig. Do your worst if you dare.

[img]​​​​​​
                Pic was missing. I fixed it...

Comment

• And I'm a Board critic, not an Art critic. When I see a board, I'll rate it.

Comment

And I'm a Board critic, not an Art critic. When I see a board, I'll rate it.
                    Judging a board if about being an information critic. which I provided.

but if pics are what you want -I can do that next time Im with my rig.

Comment

Judging a board if about being an information critic. which I provided.

but if pics are what you want -I can do that next time Im with my rig.
                      I get your point. But so many critical elements and nuances are simply not portrayed in a diagram. Not to mention the potential for *ahem* fabrication, shall we say. Bottom line, pics talk, drawings walk.

Comment

I get your point. But so many critical elements and nuances are simply not portrayed in a diagram. Not to mention the potential for *ahem* fabrication, shall we say. Bottom line, pics talk, drawings walk.
                        Fair enough, I'm down with Strep Throat and not going anywhere for a few days wanted some laughs so sent in the diagram intead.

I will endeavor to provide pics once I'm on my feet.

Have a great Christmas.

Comment

Have a great Christmas.
                          Ditto. No rush. This thread will be here. No reason to kick - I mean critique a man when he is down...

Comment

No reason to kick - I mean critique a man when he is down...
                            haahahahhaha

Comment

• He asked for it...

Originally posted by Flores_68
                              Hi there,

Apart from how sloppily set my pedals are, I'd like some input for improvement...
                              There is no "Apart from how sloppily set" they are. This is the abandoned land...where pedal board wanna be's come to die! Get a big glass of water. Time to swallow a real big red pill Neo....

First of all, the good points:

#1 I see a lot of "Workman's pedals" like solid meat and p[otato offerings from MXR, Boss and Ibanez. Can't hate.
                              #2 I also see a few of choice dirt boxes, namely the Tumulus and the very stylish Rat substitute, the Katzenkonig, and a rare JHS Andy Timmons pedal, as well as a Fulltone OCD.

And that's a about where the joy ends...

First - and my fans already see this coming: Get a freaking shop vac. It looks like someone spilled an ashtray on the board. What the hell. Have a little pride man!

Next... Tighten up the wiring. It looks like someone threw a handful of fishing worms in the middle of the board and a few have crawled to various ends of the board.

Then, what is up with the Power Bridge Fire power unit? Never heard of it. And don't think it escaped me that you have something daisy chained running off to the left. How about we get TWO power bricks, or one really big one? Consolidate that juice so everything is free from potential hum - especially with 14 pedals! Not that you need 14 pedals....we'll get to that. Just put a little platform on top or something for a drink coaster or set list or tip jar or whatever.

OK...now, for the Elephant on the board: Holy crap - you have 6 freaking gain pedals. WTF?!?!?! The Micro Amp is there to do what? Juice the other 5???? So that's like 10 dirt boxes. Seriously? Really? And given the mojo of the last 4 in the chain, why a merely mortal TS9? we are gonna run with JUST 3 of these, and in this order:

Tumnus > Fulltone > Katz and then AFTER all of that we'll put the Micro amp at the end. You obviously get your dirt from pedals, so use the Micro amp for a lead boost after the dirt for more louder of whatever combo of two dirt pedals you use. Put the EQ after the Katz but before the Noise Gate.

I'm not sure why the NS pedal is there or up front. Put it at the end of the dirt chain after the EQ. I love the micro amp by the way. Have one without an LED, had it since the 80's. I can't tell how you have the signal chain exactly. It LOOKS like you might be running effects in the loop, and dirt into the front. Not sure why the Micro Amp is in the loop though, or why the back row then unless line driving. I'd run that in front.

Whatever Tuner that is, why not get non-munchkin sized one. There are ACRES of unused turf on that board. SO the front row is now:

Full sized Boss Tuner > Tumnus > OCD > Katz > EQ > Micro Amp > Noise GAte > Amp. That gives you clean + 3 flavors of dirt, plus 2 more if you leave Tumnus on, and an EQ option for whatever. I think you'll get by with 10 different dirt sounds.

OK...back row (and for those waiting on the "rows" comment - it's coming...)

Fender Bubbler Chorus. So, bear in mind I have a Fender Tre-Verb, so nothing against the new Fender Pedals. Some are super cool. This isn't one of them. To begin with, the name suggests it is a favorite of K-Pop bands. Next, do do you know how many Dual Chorus pedals there are? Not many, and there is a reason for that. So you spent $150 on a meh dual tremolo. Then again, you seem to need 64 flavors of dirt....

Get a really good SINGLE chorus, Boss WAZA CE2, or maybe a Waza Dimension C if you want a couple of presets. Or if it MUST be dual, get a cool one like a Suhr Alexa, or stylistically, I think a Carl Martin Chorus x II would be great on there.

However, instead of burning your money on a mega Chorus (who does that besides Alex Lifeson or Andy Summers? Oh yeah, they used JC 120 Chorus....so Boss CE-2!), ramp down the chorus and get a full size Electric Mistress. What the hell is that little two knob atrocity? It's like "Yeah, I'm into S&M, but I only like it when she spanks me a little with a soft fuzzy glove."

Standard Chorus and Standard Mistress.

Order them Chorus, Flange Phase. At this point, don't ask - just do it.

No problem with the MXR CC, great choice and right in your zone. By the way - the little button is modulation if you need a second delicate chorus sound. Who needs two chorusses but one delay????

Finally - you guessed it, get a full sized Hall of fame. You have the real estate, use it.

So - there you go. I'd ask what amp and if you are really using 4 cable - but I just don't even care at this point....

Comment

• Oh - almost forgot; Do you have some sort of weird vision problem? Like things at the periphery look closer than they really are? What is with the soft V / phalanx arrangement. Come on Brandon - line those things up neatly!

Comment

Working...
                                X