Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: parallel, split...output?

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    How come you went through all the trouble of measuring with a dummy coil?
    LOL... It came from my obsessive and perverse need to understand guitar pickups, ten years ago. I can't say that my understanding has really improved but at least, I've now a few things to share on Internet forums. !-)

That said and to be honest, I've shamelessly stolen the idea to Helmuth Lemme: http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/ (scroll down to the fig.11).
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
      LOL... It came from my obsessive and perverse need to understand guitar pickups, ten years ago. I can't say that my understanding has really improved but at least, I've now a few things to share on Internet forums. !-)

That said and to be honest, I've shamelessly stolen the idea to Helmuth Lemme: http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/ (scroll down to the fig.11).
      Can you read German? Lemme was so far ahead of everybody else. If he had cut out some groundless additional statements in his book he could have had a real impact.

Comment

I haven't read his "buch". :-)

That said, I approximatively see where/when/why his explanations about "elektrogitarren" can be considered as oversimplified if not discussible by those who master such questions.
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
          Can you read German? Lemme was so far ahead of everybody else. If he had cut out some groundless additional statements in his book he could have had a real impact.
          I can, and I agree, Lemme is a visionary (he´s not dead or retired yet as "was" implies, he´s very much still active). There are a few things that I look at and see as a bit iffy, but he definitely knows what he´s doing as far as the big picture goes. He just opened his mouth a bit too far in a few places, and that unfortunately closed quite a few doors.
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
            Not if you only split hot humbuckers...
            Like an X2N
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman
              Great practical example is a DiMarzio X2N in parallel. Awesome pickup for clean rhythms, and just all around awesome.
              How much does it tighten the low end?
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

This video was linked to in another thread but it does a lot to answer the question of series/split/parallel volume output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu5PA...layer_embedded

The video shows 3 guitars with 3 different humbuckers played in series, parallel and split single coil modes.

The final numbers from the video come out to:

Series to Parallel volume drop 0.60dB
                Series to Split volume drop 1.15dB

So in his testing the split single coil has the lowest volume output. His results agree exactly with what I hear when I play my guitar. Parallel mode in general does not have a "weak and anemic" tone. It's typically brighter than series and similar in tone and volume output to split mode but parallel has the benefit of hum cancellation.

Can we get the FAQ updated and delete the -3dB for split and -6dB for parallel numbers?
                Last edited by robrob2; 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I answered my own question from a little ways back in this thread. (RE: DiMarzio says that their "Air" pickup technology has less loss of output when run split or parallel compared to series than most pickups").
                  I wired an Air Norton for series /parallel and indeed the perceived output drop when run in parallel (compared to series) is very little, much less than any other humbucker I have tried in parallel. I have no idea why this is and it is purely anecdotal, using my ear as the measuring device.

Comment

Perhaps DiMarzio is using extreme asymmetrical winding with the active when split coil having many more wire wraps than the cut coil. This would reduce the amount of noise cancellation though.

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico View Post
                      Can we forget DC as the parameter that says everything about pickups?.
                      I am going to talk about perceived volume, i.e., loudness.
                      To me, split is about 70% loud of full humbucker and parallel about 60%, while out-of-phase can be around 40%.
                      But, all these depends a lot on which coils are involved and which frequencies are being cancelled or reinforced.
                      Thank you. Output and resistence are two different things. While coil cut reduces resistence by 50%, output doesn't drop by as much.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Slightly off topic:

For those of you with experience, let's take a JB and an Invader.

To get a better, chimey-er clean & blues tone out of these, is this more easily attained split or in parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
                          Slightly off topic:

For those of you with experience, let's take a JB and an Invader.

To get a better, chimey-er clean & blues tone out of these, is this more easily attained split or in parallel?
                          For the invader I would go definitively for parallel wiring for that application.
                          For the invador, I would check two options: parallel (but, this can make the JB very piercing) or half-out-of-phase (more similar to a single coil sound).
                          My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                          My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

For the invader I would go definitively for parallel wiring for that application.
                            For the invador, I would check two options: parallel (but, this can make the JB very piercing) or half-out-of-phase (more similar to a single coil sound).
                            I'm assuming you meant to put JB on the second line.

FYI, the JB in question has an A8, so it's a bit more output with a ton more low mids.

Comment

parallel, split...output?

Not to thread jack, but how do you wire for half out of phase? And does that hum or is it still humbucking? Thanks.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
                                I'm assuming you meant to put JB on the second line.

FYI, the JB in question has an A8, so it's a bit more output with a ton more low mids.
                                So, same recipy as for the invader, parallel should work fine, even that the JB is a pickup that splits really nice.
                                My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                                My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Working...
                                X