Emg 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg 85

I just got an 85, and am trying it in the bridge with an 81 in the neck. So far (and at a rediculously low volume) it seems similar to the 81, but more filled out. I get the impression that there's nothing the 81 will do that the 85 won't.

Any other non-EMG haters wanna comment?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Emg 85

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    HEJ ........****, i want to know if the 85 has equally or too much LESS highs than the 81.
    Hails
    what kind of EQ the 81 has?
    6-4-9?
    bass-middle-treble!!!
    Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
    Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
    Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
    Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
    Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
    Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
    Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
    Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

i like the EMG"s, why dont you do the 81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck?
      the 81` has a ceramic magenet(which has a higher output), and the 85 has a alnico 5 magnet(little less output).
      You would put a pup with a higher output in the bridge, and equil or lower output in the neck....but its your guitar, do what you like.

Comment

I've used a pair of 81s for the last 6 or 7 years, and wanted to try something different. Plus, the current trend among metal (Shadows Fall, Killswitch, In Flames, etc...) guys is to use the 85 in the bridge. I really like how they all sound so I thought I'd give it a shot.

JP, I can't hear it like "bass 4, mids 6, treble 5." What I DO hear is the 85 has more low mids & bass than the 81, which has more treble. I've only had the 85 installed for a little bit, but I really like it so far. I also really like the 81. Unfortunately, the pickups I got are older ones, so no quick connect, so it's probably gonna be awhile before I try the 85 in the neck.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Hummmmmmmm OK man
          i understand
          Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
          Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

I really like the EMG 85's... They have that bassier darker sound you hear alot of lately... To me 81's have more sizzle in the high end...
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I use an 81 in the bridge of one of my guitars. About while back I played a flying V with an 85 in the bridge that just had a crushing tone. I find the 85 to be thicker.

Comment

The 85 is the best humbucker EMG makes. The only thing it can't do is be as punchy as the 81. I'd say the tone is pretty balanced something like Bass-5 Lowmid-7 Uppermid-6 Treble-5.
                Speak through your fingers

Comment

I find the 85 in the bridge has a thicker, heavier tone than the 81.

I find the 81 in the bridge has a more agressive, more percussive tone than the 85.

I use the 85 in a drop C Strat....it's awesome for detuned rhythm.

I use the 81 in a Les Paul....where it's awesome for fast, heavy, thrashy type stuff.

Having a fast, clear, percussive tone is important for me, which is why EMGs have taken over two of my axes and will soon be in my third. I really like the sound of passives, but they just don't have the feel I'm after.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

yeah let us know how that comes out... I just picked up a set of 81s w/ connects and I'm already looking for other EMGs to experiment with!
                    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                      I just got an 85, and am trying it in the bridge with an 81 in the neck. So far (and at a rediculously low volume) it seems similar to the 81, but more filled out. I get the impression that there's nothing the 81 will do that the 85 won't.

Any other non-EMG haters wanna comment?

I don't find the 85 to be similar to the 81. The 85 in the bridge has more low mids and bass than the 81, has less treble, it is warmer, more natural sounding and much more versatile than the 81.

Comment

Originally posted by vinterland
                        The 85 is the best humbucker EMG makes. The only thing it can't do is be as punchy as the 81. I'd say the tone is pretty balanced something like Bass-5 Lowmid-7 Uppermid-6 Treble-5.
                        Hails Man
                        do you mean that for the 85 or 81?
                        Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                        Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

I´m still want to know a direct eq comparison between 81 and 85?!
                          Ah... 60 too. and 60 A
                          Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                          Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

The 85 actually has more output then the 81!!!!!! and is definitely bassier also!

Comment

I´m worry with 2 things in the 81. TOO MUCH SCOOPED MIDDLES, i hate reduced middles, And... too much HARSH tone
                              i´m worry with this for the 85 : too much bass and middles and not enough HIGHS.
                              Q
                              Can anyone solve this to me please?
                              Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                              Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

Working...
                              X