Emg 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Emg 85

Dino Casares said in a GW interview in '99 that the 707 was a "combo of the 81 & 85." After finally trying the 85, I can see how the 85's tonalities of the 707 could easily overshadow the 81's. I figured there was at least a little 81 to it, though, coz he said prior to that he found his perfect tone with a Jackson with one 81. Still, I've never used it, so I'm just going off of what Dino said.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Whaaaat????? the 85 doesn't have enough output?????? well listen to anything by vito bratta!!! e uses a 85 in bridge position and the output is just stellar so what's the complaint????
      Guitars:
      Epiphone Zakk Wylde w/ ZW emg set
      Peavey Wolfgang QT w/ SD scremin' demon in bridge
      Jackson Soloist 3 w/ Jb in bridge
      Ibanez 2570ex vst With tone zone
      2x Ada mp1 preamp
      2x Marshall '68 plexi super lead heads
      Marshall Jcm 800 100 head
      Mesa Boogie triple rectifier head
      Soldano Slo-100 Head
      Combos:
      Marshall Jcm 2000 tsl 602 tube amp

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
        I had an 85/81 (Neck/Bridge) combo and for lead is was awesome. I switched to a 60/81 as I needed a better clean tone and the neck 85 into my Recto was too bassy, but I REALLY miss the 85/81 middle position. I'd run the 81 on full with the 85 at about 4-6 and it sounded awesome for rhythm. I do the same thing with the 60/81, but it's not quite as good.
        thought about sticking the 89 in the neck and use the split for cleans? just an idea

Comment

Originally posted by LyMob
          Whaaaat????? the 85 doesn't have enough output?????? well listen to anything by vito bratta!!! e uses a 85 in bridge position and the output is just stellar so what's the complaint????
          Tone is a very subjective thing. To many ears, active pickups sound like sh*t. Know what I mean?????
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Actives are real good distorted but clean their not the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
              thought about sticking the 89 in the neck and use the split for cleans? just an idea
              I almost did just that, but I went for the 60 instead. I actually ordered a 60a to see what it sounded like, but a 60 showed up and we stuck it in anyway.

The cleans are awesome, and it does good overdrive and distortion. If I ever decide to play more lead I'll probably set another guitar up with an 89/81 combo, but as long as I'm a rhythm player I'll stick with the 60.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

ah, cool =)

Comment

Man, everybody on here is always saying, "I got an emg, hated it, blah, blah, blah..." but when you try to trade for them, nobody has them!

Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                    This is EXCACTLY what I'm doing 81b/89n...
                    I'm thinking I want the brutality of the 81 and the more full-sounding 85 + cleans... So I hope this'll work for me. I've ordered and hopefully I'll be getting my pups next week...

On EMG homepage they say that you can turn the 89 180 degrees, depending on where you want your singlecoil to be located. The logo will just be on the wrong side.
                    You guys think I should set it as close to the neck as possible, or leave it so it'll be close to the middle of the body??
                    Rek Custom Guitar (Duncan Full Shred set)
                    Peavey Vandenberg Ed.2 (Tom Anderson HN3, DiMarzio Chopper)
                    Peavey Vandenberg Custom Quilt Top (Stock pickups)

Comment

Do you want a brighter or more mellow single coil tone?

Comment

Closer to the neck will be more likely to put it under the 24th fret node (provided your axe is 21 or 22 frets), which should give you a sweeter sound.
                        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

speaking of emgs 85,81,60 etc...... i've always thought that emgs range of pickups is a bit limited.....not many models with different eq to choose from.....i think it would be good for all of us (and for them...) if they extended their range of pickups ......just look at how many different pickups duncan or dimarzio makes.

Comment

Mellow, thus the singlecoil towards the neck, right? I've also got a 24-fret Schecter, so...

Comment

Yup, towards the neck. If that's too dark, you can flip it, or if the logo being on the wrong side bothers you, they sell them with the other coil active in the split.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                                Yup, towards the neck. If that's too dark, you can flip it, or if the logo being on the wrong side bothers you, they sell them with the other coil active in the split.
                                Yeah I know about the 89R, but I don't think it'll bother me that much...
                                They had the 89 in stock but not the 89R, so I didn't think too much about that since you can flip it either way.
                                I'm really curious about what tone I can get with both pups activated, just experimenting with rolling off some volume on either one. And it'll be interesting to see how good the singlecoil is for cleans...
                                I can't wait to fire up my soldering-iron, getting them in there and start shredding my neighbors to oblivion

Comment

Working...
                                X