Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Emg 85

Originally posted by WITH FULL DISTORTION
    I´m worry with 2 things in the 81. TOO MUCH SCOOPED MIDDLES, i hate reduced middles, And... too much HARSH tone
    i´m worry with this for the 85 : too much bass and middles and not enough HIGHS.
    Q
    Can anyone solve this to me please?

I don't find either one scooped. The 60 is the most scooped of the lot if you ask me, which is probably why it has such a good clean tone.

I could be completely out to lunch....others feel free to correct me, the more opinions we get on this EQ thing the more accurate it'll likely be;

T - 9
    M - 7
    B - 3

T - 6
    M - 5
    B - 6

T - 5
    M - 3
    B - 4
    Last edited by some_dude; 01-14-2005, 08:51 AM.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Hails Man
      do you mean that for the 85 or 81?
      the 85 yes
      Speak through your fingers

Comment

I´m worry with 2 things in the 81. TOO MUCH SCOOPED MIDDLES, i hate reduced middles, And... too much HARSH tone
        i´m worry with this for the 85 : too much bass and middles and not enough HIGHS.
        Q
        Can anyone solve this to me please?
        The 85 isn't harsh at all, very well rounded and clear highs are not a problem. Some might consider the 81 harsh just because it can really scream at you but if you have a tube amp and good eq it won't.

Comment

NOW, another tech question about EMG Pickups in general, and in particular 81 and 85 in the Bridge.
          how much(in %) do you think it Interacts with the Guitar Woods?
          10%? 9%,5%,20%,15%,12%, 30%?
          Hails.
          J.P

Thank´s A LOT Folks, for the FEEDBACK Here. let´s MAKE SURE the 2 eqs posted by Screamingdaisy are as close to the a possible DEFAULT of the emg as possible.
          Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
          Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
          Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
          Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
          Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
          Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
          Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
          Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Awesome Feedback Sd
            Thank´s

T - 9
            M - 7
            B - 3

T - 6
            M - 5
            B - 6

T - 5
            M - 3
            B - 4[/quote]
            Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
            Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

NOW, another tech question about EMG Pickups in general, and in particular 81 and 85 in the Bridge.
              how much(in %) do you think it Interacts with the Guitar Woods?
              10%? 9%,5%,20%,15%,12%, 30%?
              Hails.
              J.P

Thank´s A LOT Folks, for the FEEDBACK Here. let´s MAKE SURE the 2 eqs posted by Screamingdaisy are as close to the a possible DEFAULT of the emg as possible.

Well I have no idea on percentages but an EMG adds it own character as well as wood character whereas a passive seems more affected by wood and doesn't add as much character. I had a JB in my jackson before I put an 85 in it... both pickups sounded like they were in an alder body but the EMG still sounded like an EMG too, so its hard to explain unless you hear it.

Comment

Okayw´s´z´z´z´Man
                thank´s for the info
                Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

I like the 85 a lot better then the 81 because of the full bassy tone, but they make such a great combo because of the screaming highs you can get with the 81, and the way they sound when played together.
                  Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                  Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                  Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                  Marshall 1960a
                  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Definitely EMG`s dictate the sound by themselves which is a turn off to some because alot of people like to hear the wood of their guitar come through!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Death's Acre
                      I like the 85 a lot better then the 81 because of the full bassy tone, but they make such a great combo because of the screaming highs you can get with the 81, and the way they sound when played together.
                      I had an 85/81 (Neck/Bridge) combo and for lead is was awesome. I switched to a 60/81 as I needed a better clean tone and the neck 85 into my Recto was too bassy, but I REALLY miss the 85/81 middle position. I'd run the 81 on full with the 85 at about 4-6 and it sounded awesome for rhythm. I do the same thing with the 60/81, but it's not quite as good.

Comment

Originally posted by metaled
                        Definitely EMG`s dictate the sound by themselves which is a turn off to some because alot of people like to hear the wood of their guitar come through!!!!
                        The wood of the guitar does come through...it just has EMG overtones to it....just like Duncan pickups sound like Duncan pickups, and DiMarzio's sound like DiMarzio's.

Comment

I switched the pickups to their more traditional positions tonight (81 bridge/85 neck) and am much happier with it. Like I said before, I've used the 81 forever, so no surprises there, but that 85 in the neck... holy sh*t, dude, that thing is FAT! I'd heard people say it gets muddy in the neck, but I don't hear a bit of mud, just clear, singing, full goodness

I think I might prefer the 85 in a 1-hum guitar (better bridge lead tone than the 81) but for a 2-bucker axe, I like the 81 in the bridge. Now I need to get ahold of a 60...
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

they should make an EMG 83....a combination of the 85's fat low end and the 81's high scream
                            Originally posted by Aceman
                            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250
                              they should make an EMG 83....a combination of the 85's fat low end and the 81's high scream
                              Sounds kind of like a 6 string version of the 707.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                                Sounds kind of like a 6 string version of the 707.
                                I thought the 707 was basically an 85 with a longer magnet?

Comment

Working...
                                X