banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

I still can't wrap my mind around these pickups. I wanna pull the trigger but I don't have a guitar to put them in (which sounds ridiculous cause I've got over 45 guitars!) and I have no idea what to expect. The SH6 is too aggressive for my taste but I do love the PATB2. Decisions decisions.

Comment

I don't know what to tell ya, man. I guess if you have a guitar that needs a little help on top, these would work great for ya.

On another note, I tried my BW set through my Blues Jr again (the first time in the JS series King V), and they sounded good this time, but I think my power tubes are getting a little cooked, because I could hear a hint of crossover distortion. But, I can't wait to unleash the top end with some 500k pots and try them in the Blues Jr again with some new tubes.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
        I don't know what to tell ya, man. I guess if you have a guitar that needs a little help on top, these would work great for ya.

On another note, I tried my BW set through my Blues Jr again (the first time in the JS series King V), and they sounded good this time, but I think my power tubes are getting a little cooked, because I could hear a hint of crossover distortion. But, I can't wait to unleash the top end with some 500k pots and try them in the Blues Jr again with some new tubes.
        Man...I LOVE where your head's at.

\m/,
        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
          I still can't wrap my mind around these pickups. I wanna pull the trigger but I don't have a guitar to put them in (which sounds ridiculous cause I've got over 45 guitars!) and I have no idea what to expect. The SH6 is too aggressive for my taste but I do love the PATB2. Decisions decisions.
          Hi there, I wanna help you narrow down your decision making. I'm still pretty new here, so I'm not really familiar with your rig or your style yet but I have definitely seen you around.

If you aren't looking for an aggressive sound, then you definitely need to try these before you buy these because my next suggestion is going to sound insane to you if you don't actually experience them.

If you are NOT going to play anything that requires this type of aggression in the bridge position, then I would suggest you put them in a (solid body) guitar with two volume and two tone controls and use them for Jazz.

I know....I know....they are BLACK WINTERS...I get it. Trust me. You will lose your mind too when you hear the panty dropping clean qualities of these pickups.

It's completely berserk.
          For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

I have an Ibanez rg270 I bought in '99 and I finally started to upgrade its components. I decided the pups were the best place to start. So, after some time and a lot of deliberation I decided black winters were it with an SSL4 Quarter Pound in the middle. Figuring out the wiring was a bit tricky because the Winters have a four wire set up and my stock power sounds are only two per pup. As well the Ibanez diagrams don't tell you what north start and such are but http://dimarzio.com/sites/default/fi...ams/IBZmod.pdf this diagram helped ALOT!

But after some time, patients and tears I got them all wired up and OH MY GOD. The guitar just came to life and has NEVER sounded so good. I only play through a POD HD Pro and everything is just alive. First clean I tried was the SLO100 clean channel and it melted my face it was so awesome.

Buy them, love them, and don't fear cus you WILL like them.

Comment

Lucy Diamond, thanks for your reply.

I like aggression in a similar vain of george lynch, blues saraceno, megadeth or iron maiden. I play les pauls mostly but I also have some superstrats (charvel).

My fav pickups in the hotter segment are the jb, jb/fullshred hybrid and the alt8.

The invader is too fat and saggy (in the low).

The sh6 distortion is too gritty and sizzly in the top end.

The jb is too soft in the lows but I love the fluid lead tones I get from the jb in the Bridge.

From what I hear, the Black winter is even more aggressive than the sh6 and that's fine for my needs add long as it's not as fizzy...

Maybe I should just stick with my jb/fs hybrid...

Comment

Stick with the JB/FS hybrid? No love for your Zephyrs eh?
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The zephyrs are epic. Clear sweetness for sure (or sweet clarity??) But I don't want zephyrs in my shredstick. It doesn't feel right to put a grand worth of pickups in a 400 buck guitar (which was a steal since it's an esp customshop).

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                    Hi there, I wanna help you narrow down your decision making. I'm still pretty new here, so I'm not really familiar with your rig or your style yet but I have definitely seen you around.

If you aren't looking for an aggressive sound, then you definitely need to try these before you buy these because my next suggestion is going to sound insane to you if you don't actually experience them.

If you are NOT going to play anything that requires this type of aggression in the bridge position, then I would suggest you put them in a (solid body) guitar with two volume and two tone controls and use them for Jazz.

I know....I know....they are BLACK WINTERS...I get it. Trust me. You will lose your mind too when you hear the panty dropping clean qualities of these pickups.

It's completely berserk.

By the way... I just uploaded a new video of my SD Custom Shop Tyrannotitans cranked through my Marshall JCM2000 TSL100...

DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

@Orpheo.

After reading your reply I think you should stick with what works for you. Maybe sometime down the road, a Black Winter might be in your future, but for now I'd much rather you be happy and dial your tone right. I would hate to find out you tried a Winter under the wrong circumstances and got turned off. One day, you will try a Winter and you will love it. Until that day...use a proven formula.

A happy guitar player just flat out plays better.

Comment

Cool new demo of the Black Winters by Killertonetexas.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFanatic View Post
                          Cool new demo of the Black Winters by Killertonetexas.
                          http://youtu.be/C6TOfQZCowg
                          Yeah sounds frakin amazing!!!! Now wanna buy again....
                          DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

why do those guys use those unique, weird amps? Not everybody has those amps, but the recto or JCM800 is much more common.

Comment

why do those guys use those unique, weird amps? Not everybody has those amps, but the recto or JCM800 is much more common.
                              Actually, that amp he is using is available retail for $800, so in sense it will be more practical than a JCM800 for most people.
                              Besides, most modern metal amps are a variation of a JCM800 or a Mesa in one aspect or another.
                              I do have to agree with you. In most of those demos those guys are playing through $3k plus boutique amps that the majority of us will never own.
                              Last edited by SGFanatic; 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Gibsons are more common than Warmoths, you know... So what?

To be honest with you, in terms of definition, neither a recto nor a marshall could touch this, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X