banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
    Hey Lucy, is there anyway you could make clips and such? That would be extremely helpful, being as how you seem to have a similar set up as me, only with more guitar options haha
    Sorry man. I don't really get into that. I thought about starting a channel for gear reviews and what not, but to compare pickups on youtube...even with quality gear...just isn't going to happen. The average person can't hear the difference and even with awesome equipment, the differences are so subtle that it because a snake oil tool.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
      Lol, you're not the first person I've heard use the words "ice pick" when describing the Stiletto.
      The Version 1 man. Not the II.
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
        Sorry man. I don't really get into that. I thought about starting a channel for gear reviews and what not, but to compare pickups on youtube...even with quality gear...just isn't going to happen. The average person can't hear the difference and even with awesome equipment, the differences are so subtle that it because a snake oil tool.
        Man, that's a shame. I was REALLY interested and there's not enough vids on YouTube demonstrating the Black Winters. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a set or the bridge version to find out for myself.

Comment

if you do throw us up a good vid. Something not overly produced showing if it has any versatility. I love ola englund's vids but they dont show anything other than the metal side. which is what they were made for I know. But it would be nice to see if it can do anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by loversmoon View Post
            if you do throw us up a good vid. Something not overly produced showing if it has any versatility. I love ola englund's vids but they dont show anything other than the metal side. which is what they were made for I know. But it would be nice to see if it can do anything else.
            Definitely this. I feel the same way, as much as I love his metal demos, I still want to see the versatility in them, if there is any. Plus, maybe some other style of metal would be nice besides Black and Death Metal (Which again, I know that's what they were intended to sound like). Just to see where it stands tonally in most situations.

Lucy, just FYI, when I meant by clips, I don't necessarily mean vids up on YouTube or anything, it can be just a sound file and posted on here. That's all I ask is an audio demonstration, whether it be through video or sound file. It would just be extremely helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
              Definitely this. I feel the same way, as much as I love his metal demos, I still want to see the versatility in them, if there is any. Plus, maybe some other style of metal would be nice besides Black and Death Metal (Which again, I know that's what they were intended to sound like). Just to see where it stands tonally in most situations.

Lucy, just FYI, when I meant by clips, I don't necessarily mean vids up on YouTube or anything, it can be just a sound file and posted on here. That's all I ask is an audio demonstration, whether it be through video or sound file. It would just be extremely helpful.

Hmmmmmmmmm....

[scratches chin]

How would I get a clip here without uploading to some other website though??
              Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 08-14-2013, 12:20 PM. Reason: Issues, boundries and secrets.

Comment

I got these comments today from one of the Artist Relations guys at a major guitar company:

Hey Evan!

I actually did get to hear these! They sound very cool, and I thought they captured a cool attack and bite of the guitar when playing through a high gain amp. I spoke with Wes Hauch from The Faceless a little bit about them, and he sung their praises as well. We are going to place the set you gave us in one of the guitars that we have here in the showroom. We have guys dropping by here all the time, and sometimes they want to check out new stuff, so we’ll be sure to have them check out these pickups!
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

VERY Cool! I wish you could say what cos these are.. I understand tho...
                  Have any companies committed to running them in a production model?
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                    I got these comments today from one of the Artist Relations guys at a major guitar company:
                    That's awesome news.

I must suggest a different approach to the marketing of these pickups folks.

The name is amazing.

The "These are built for the heaviest people on the planet" thing doesn't do the versatility of these pickups justice.

The 6/6/6 on the tone chart is just plain c o r n y and waaaaaaaay off.

Let's not make these things a joke, because they are something new and very special.

Much love,

~LD

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm....

[scratches chin]

You could record it, and then make an MP3 file and post it on here. It's been done before.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm....

[scratches chin]

Upload to Soundcloud, then embed here. Click the "Go Advanced" button on the comment reply box and there is button for the soundcloud url box.
                        If you don't mind me asking, why don't you want to upload to another site?
                        Last edited by youngthrasher9; 08-14-2013, 10:41 PM.
                        My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                        Originally posted by CTN
                        I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                        FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

The 6/6/6 thing was apparently what Keith Merrow thought, saying it wasn't just for novelty either. It could easily be the self-fulfilling prophecy if he speculated beforehand the possibility of the 6/6/6 EQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                            The 6/6/6 thing was apparently what Keith Merrow thought, saying it wasn't just for novelty either. It could easily be the self-fulfilling prophecy if he speculated beforehand the possibility of the 6/6/6 EQ.

It's convenient that he "thought" that. And saying it isn't for novelty doesn't make it true. The curve is closer to 8/8/9 and that's just the way it is.

Anyway...back to a previous post of mine.

I decided to treat the Stiletto as if I had never bought one and I went to youtube to check out other Stiletto owners and see how they dialed theirs in and the difference was night and day lastnight. I got a pretty cool Ratt tone with the Winters/ Stiletto combination and (again) it is amazing how well even the red channel cleans up with the volume knob.

Also....exactly what I though....where the Mark IV is concerned...when up past 5 or 6 and using the footswitch for the reverb, the reverb bleeds into the channel which isn't too too noticeable on the Green and Yellow channel but on the Red channel (even with my Distortions) the reverb bleed was creating that cocked wah tone.

So now...aside from being an all around amazing pickup, the Black Winter is apparently also a diagnostic tool

Comment

It's convenient that he "thought" that. And saying it isn't for novelty doesn't make it true. The curve is closer to 8/8/9 and that's just the way it is.
                              I agree, I think your curve is more spot on. I imagined 7/8/9 in my quiet mind. There is no way the curve is 6/6/6 IMO.

Comment

FYI, those EQ curves are the only published measurement that are totally subjective. D.C.R. and Resonant Peak are measured by calibrated test equipment. EQ is generally achieved by asking the "good ears team" what they think it is. And it's somewhat influenced by the guitar, the signal chain, the room, and other factors.
                                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X