banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
    Fair enough, my only fear is that I want to get all the tones I like first hand. I don't want to install and then say, "Oh well, I don't like this, that, etc..." I want to get it right the first time.

The Black Winters seem very interesting, and I want to try them. I guess maybe I should just pull the trigger?

I want something fairly versatile, and can at least achieve a good clean tone, which from what you've stated before, is what can be done. Are they naturally scoopy? Or do they have a solid midrange? I like to have a nice midrange voicing, plenty of lows, and some clarity with the high without sounding harsh and ice-picky.
    I promise you.

I promise you!!

Everything you want is there.

You will not be disappointed in the least bit.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Ok. You bastards made me order a Black Winter bridge. Actually, I've been wanting one since it's announcement. It's been almost 2 months since a ordered a pickup, I'm well overdue. I can't afford a set now, but I'm sure in the future I'll get the neck version so the bridge doesn't get lonely.

Comment

Originally posted by qwerty View Post
        What height did you set it at?
        The bridge pup? Almost flush with the pick-up mounting ring. (Approx. 0.5 cm above)

Comment

Originally posted by SGFanatic View Post
          Ok. You bastards made me order a Black Winter bridge. Actually, I've been wanting one since it's announcement. It's been almost 2 months since a ordered a pickup, I'm well overdue. I can't afford a set now, but I'm sure in the future I'll get the neck version so the bridge doesn't get lonely.
          I did no such thing sir.

Enjoy your Winter. It's going to be BLACK!!!

Please come back and post your thoughts because I really want to know how they sound and react in your SG.
          For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
            Please come back and post your thoughts because I really want to know how they sound and react in your SG.
            Me too!
            "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

I did no such thing sir.

Enjoy your Winter. It's going to be BLACK!!!

Actually it's going into a 27" scale length LTD Viper tuned to B standard. I'll let you guys know.
              Last edited by SGFanatic; 09-15-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Muuuhahahahaha! Excellent!

Kidding aside, I think you'll like it.
                Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Doubletap.
                  Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 09-13-2013, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Mozambiqued!!!

Comment

So I put The Black Winter bridge in my guitar today, along with a new CTS 550k pot, wired up with no tone pot, as I usually do. It sounds great...
                      My guitar is LTD VB-300, 27" scale neck, mahogany body, maple neck, and rosewood board. The strings are a set of 12-56 tuned to B standard. My amp is a slightly modded 6505 head on top of a Mesa standard cab with Celetion K100's and Celestion 12-65's.
                      First I'd like to say I have always been huge fan of the Duncan Distortion, so there might be a little bias involved in my review, and as I am speaking about the DD, it serves only as a reference to compare the Black Winter, as it's been regarded as a beefier Distortion.
                      I'm really digging this pickup. I've experimented with a few high output pickups, and this is my favorite so far. I've had the Lace Drop and Gain, Dirty Hesher, Dimarzio SD, Dimarzio TZ, BPK Warpig, BPK Black Hawk, Duncan DD, Alternative 8, Blackouts, the El Diablo, and of course, the EMG's.
                      All in all, it does what it says it does. It has a lot of clarity with huge mid/top end presence and a big low end, but at the same time stays very tight. It carries that distinctive high-mid rasp during fast riffing, more so than the DD, which is what I was looking for. I've read people don't like it for leads. It's difficult to find a pickup that does great rhythm and great leads, but with some pole piece adjustments, it does leads just fine. The DC resistance is the same as DD, but almost sounds like it has less distortion, I think due to the higher resonant peak relative to the DD, giving the clarity I mentioned earlier.
                      To make a list of cons about this pickup would be difficult. I haven't used it in any other guitars, so I'll refrain from speaking beyond my own experience. If there is one thing to say, I will say this, it is a decently bright pickup (I like bright, so...). I did have to turn down the treble and presence, but that's fine. If you're thinking 250k pots, I say no, it gets do dark/muddy for me in high output pickups.
                      Maybe I'm just in the honeymoon stage right now, but Seymour Duncan got this one SPOT ON. It's as good, if not better as pickups twice the price, and I hate to say that because it almost sounds like I'm describing SD as a budget pickup company, which they're not.
                      I know it's hard to use YouTube demos as an trustworthy source as to what pickups sound like in the real world, but Ola's demo is pretty close. Aside from the jangly-ness (which I think is a characteristic of the Satan), it shows accurately what this pick up sounds like for that type of metal.
                      Unfortunately I have no decent means by which to record a demo. But trust me, if you've read this far, you'll love it.
                      Overall, it's crazy sounding. It sounds like it's going to fall apart in the low end and blow a hole in your speakers with the mids and highs, but it pulls itself back together and stabs your soul before you can strum the next chord.
                      Oh, and I forgot to mention, the aesthetics are pretty sweet. The goth script, black pole pieces, and the black baseplate add to it's demonic persona. I'm very happy with it, and as budget permits, I'll be getting the neck version ASAP.
                      Last edited by SGFanatic; 09-15-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

I sort of agree about the 250k pots. They do cut off the top end to the point that you lose the chimey quality on the cleans, but if all a guy has to get by with is 250k pots, they still sound good. But that said, as soon as I get around too ordering some more 500k pots, I'll be running my Black Winters with them again. Because, well, I like the chimey top end.

Comment

...and as budget permits, I'll be getting the neck version ASAP.
                          You're gonna $h!t yourself when you get the neck pickup and start using them as a set.

Comment

...and as budget permits, I'll be getting the neck version ASAP.
                            You're gonna $h!t yourself when you get the neck pickup and start using them as a set.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up...I'll be sure to wear a diaper.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up...I'll be sure to wear a diaper.
                                When you get the neck pickup, you'll see where the soloing really come in.

For the record, I don't have any issues soloing with the Winters.

If you are a neck pickup solo kinda kat, you are gonna be happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X