banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

So anyway...the eq curve is intense...whatever you call it. I'd say if you were going to go with something funny though, go with w/t/f.

The bottom line is that these pickups are completely sick and I genuinely feel that they can be used for anything with the right amp.

I (obviously) don't have EVERY amp, but my collection represents about 95% of what guitarists are looking to sound like in some way and what amplifier companies are trying to get their amplifiers to sound like in some way and the Black Winters sound amazing with ALL OF THEM.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Last night, I was playing around on the green channel of the Mark IV and I decided to run the Winters through it with the Lovepedal White kanji.

:- O

Middle pickup position with the neck pickup on 7 I was getting frighteningly accurate Santana Europa tones.

The responsiveness was amazing.
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

I REALLY wish there were some more clips of the Black Winters. There's not enough for me to come to the conclusion on whether I'd like to try them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
          I REALLY wish there were some more clips of the Black Winters. There's not enough for me to come to the conclusion on whether I'd like to try them or not.
          I tried using my little video camera and the stuff I use at home for recording ideas (not really the best sounding stuff), but haven't been satisfied with how the clips have sounded. I'm going to have to try the mics after practice this weekend, since my decent recording stuff is up where my band practices.
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

What do uou want to hear?

Comment

See...my thing with video clips (especially freakin youtube) is that you will never be able to hear they way these things respond to everything around them.

Winters are so sensitive to your amp, your pedals, your picks, your strings, your pots...that $h!t your ex-girlfriend said to you 11 years ago.

Man...they just pickup everything. But if you record them, they are just gonna sound like a heavy pickup...especially once they've been compressed.

Comment

Still gonna buy a BW and compare it to the Tyrannotitan, but first I wanna get a Whole Lotta for the neck to replace the '59....
                DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
                  Still gonna buy a BW and compare it to the Tyrannotitan, but first I wanna get a Whole Lotta for the neck to replace the '59....

I'm in a very dangerous place with The Whole Lotta Humbuckers right now. I'm looking for a '59 reissue Les Paul JUST to put those in.

Bad....I know....

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                    See...my thing with video clips (especially freakin youtube) is that you will never be able to hear they way these things respond to everything around them.

Winters are so sensitive to your amp, your pedals, your picks, your strings, your pots...that $h!t your ex-girlfriend said to you 11 years ago.

Man...they just pickup everything. But if you record them, they are just gonna sound like a heavy pickup...especially once they've been compressed.
                    Does it have a mid cut? That seems to be the thing I notice the most, a long with a boost in the highs just a little. That's what I've noticed so far, and that they're pretty articulate.

By the way, no further compression is really needed on Distortion, because the sound is already compressed when distorted.

Comment

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Does it have a mid cut? That seems to be the thing I notice the most, a long with a boost in the highs just a little. That's what I've noticed so far, and that they're pretty articulate.

By the way, no further compression is really needed on Distortion, because the sound is already compressed when distorted.
                      Yes, but all the audio on YouTube is compressed because of the format that they use.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                        Yes, but all the audio on YouTube is compressed because of the format that they use.

Shootin...thank you very much.

I was definitely NOT talking about using a compressor pedal or effect. I was talking about digital audio codec file compression.

And yes Max...there is mid cut for daaaaaaays.

I'm telling you folks....everything you need is hear.

From what I've read about how different and full and completely revolutionary and amazing the Zephyrs are, it just feels to me like These Black Winters might be the common mans Zephyr.

Seymour Duncan really needs to start setting up kiosks in guitar stores with Winter loaded guitars just to see. They are NOT just high output pickups...these things are something new and beautiful.

Honestly...if I were physically capable, I'd cry.

Comment

I'm thinking Black Winters for my SG when I spring for new pups in it.
                          "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

I think he's talking about mid scoop not mid cut like lots of cutting mids.

I hope to God they don't have scooped mids, that's almost 100% the opposite of why I bought them. (still haven't gotten the wiring done)
                            My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                            Originally posted by CTN
                            I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                            FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Shootin...thank you very much.

I was definitely NOT talking about using a compressor pedal or effect. I was talking about digital audio codec file compression.

I'm telling you folks....everything you need is hear.

From what I've read about how different and full and completely revolutionary and amazing the Zephyrs are, it just feels to me like These Black Winters might be the common mans Zephyr.

Seymour Duncan really needs to start setting up kiosks in guitar stores with Winter loaded guitars just to see. They are NOT just high output pickups...these things are something new and beautiful.

Honestly...if I were physically capable, I'd cry.

You're welcome, no problem.

And in my experience, I would say that the Black Winters are well balanced with extra top end presence. About like if you had a flat 31 band EQ and boosted the very top few sliders, imho. Because when they were in my Explorer, the woofy low mids that Exporers are typically known for came through, but in my JS Series King V, I hear all the tones that you'd expect from an Alder body with a Maple neck and a Rosewood board, plus the extra top end.
                              Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-29-2013, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                                You're welcome, no problem.

And in my experience, I would say that the Black Winters are well balanced with extra top end presence. About like if you had a flat 31 band EQ and boosted the very top few sliders, imho. Because when they were in my Explorer, the woofy low mids that Exporers are typically known for came through, but in my JS Series King V, I hear all the tones that you'd expect from an Alder body with a Maple neck and a Rosewood board, plus the extra top end.

Hey wow...you know whay!?!?

I don't think I get those because I have an Explorer Pro!?!? I have a much smaller body style than you do and that might make a difference.

Now I'm all curious about normal Explorers.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Comment

Working...
                                X