This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Can you explain what is wrong for others visiting this thread?
    BeauBrummels is correct, no sound would be produced in either of those.

I added a Red wire that would replace the current, errant Black wire that comes off the volume pot and goes to the 5 way switch.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thank you so much for adding that info to this thread.
      Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Thank you so much for adding that info to this thread.
        No problem. Anything I can do to support a worthwhile thread.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Coil split to activate the adjustable screw coil. Wiring is incorrect, not sure what the correct way is, but this is not it.
          Top drawing is correct, bottom is wrong.

Comment

This is the correct way to wire the coil split to activate the screw coil.

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
              Coil split to activate the adjustable screw coil. Wiring is incorrect, not sure what the correct way is, but this is not it.
              Top drawing is correct, bottom is wrong.
              WDeeGee,

Both are valid methods, just different ways of going about the task. I have used each one successfully in different projects previously. Sometimes because of limitations imposed by the other design elements of the circuit you're working on, you're not able to route the Series Link Pair to Hot like in Method 2 BUT your circuit allows you to route it to Ground, so you employ Method 1 to achieve the end result.

Please see the attached summary "slide" I created in quick-and-dirty fashion, for the 2 methods and the short explanation of each I added to the left. Maybe those explanations will clear something up for you.

Why do you believe Method 1 is incorrect? Did you try it and it not worked? If yes, please start a separate thread and I would be glad to help you troubleshoot it.
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-23-2021, 11:58 PM.

Comment

And just to clarify, Jack is correct. There's more than one way to "skin a kat", so to speak. Ultimately, what needs to be understood, is that if you want to "kill" the stud coil, you short out black and white. And if you want to "kill" the screw coil, you short out red and green. It doesn't matter, electrically, how you accomplish that. (Talking Seymour Duncan pups here. Others may be different.)

Comment

I took another look and yes, both methods would work. The second methode keeps the phase the same with both HB on and the first method reverses it?

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
                    I took another look and yes, both methods would work. The second methode keeps the phase the same with both HB on and the first method reverses it?
                    No, phase remains normal in both methods.

If you would like to discuss further, please start a new thread. This particular thread is meant to be dedicated to just SD diagrams that have confirmed issues that need to be corrected eventually.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-25-2021, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X