No announcement yet.

The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got a JB. Haven't even put it in yet and I hate it.
    What's wrong with all you all?
    Maybe I'll put it in the neck.
    Carry on.
    Last edited by PS412; 12-06-2020, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Here is the stable so far:

1. A JBJ
      2. A JB from 80's that is NOT a JBJ
      3. An Antiquity
      4. A Post (not sure date) JB
      5. A Current Production JB

And yeah - we'll check on a meter, and look at the magnets. From space. It's the only way to be sure.
      I was just thinking . . . it might be interesting to include the DD version in this test. HB102b.

Comment

• With the distortion box off hopefully.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          With the distortion box off hopefully.
          And on.....
          I’d like to hear it in both settings.

Comment

• Dear Ace,

I happen to agree with and appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Chances are that crazy gluing peoples eyes shut and actually letting them play each version would yield close to the same results. So I propose a different test.
            A test that could save you time and money.
            Here goes:
            Borrow a pen and a notebook from work, well swipe really, kind of depends on the language one needs to justify something to themselves, and draw five symbols on five sheets of paper. Perhaps a circle, an addition symbol, a couple of three wavy lines, a square ( hollow ) and a star. We can all get together here on say a Wednesday evening and give it a whirl.
            You, in the comfort of your best pair of underwear, in your living room will place the five sheets of paper face down on your coffee table. You will then pick one up and stare at intensely and with great concentration for a period of say a minute. We will all as well focus our thoughts on you and see if we can guess the symbol. We should try maybe twenty five times or so.

Let me know what you think. I suspect the results will be close to the same and your time, money and sweat can be used for even bigger and better projects. If you need any questions answered you can contact a fellow, Karl Zener, he may be able to help you out.

Thanks for your time.
            PS412

P.S Karl may already know if you have a question.

Comment

• I have considered the DD, and a few other options. We'll see. Right now, as mentioned, getting the recording chops down and a guitar. This WILL happen.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have considered the DD, and a few other options.
                I was just looking over the DD page again. The DD JB is wound hotter. May not be meaningful. Or maybe I'll do a mini-test just between those two.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  If you really want to nail it, all contestant JBs need to have the same Henries, mv and DCR. ;-)
                  I disagree. There's much greater variance in the early JB's, with some dipping into the upper-15K range. Also, I have at least one "The JB Model" example left that has relatively mis-matched coils (8K and 8.4K). I sold one earlier this year that was similarly mismatched with a much lower total DCR. So, matching on DCR isn't a guarantee of anything. Add in the facts that wire suppliers have changed over the years, along with different magnet suppliers and potential formulations over time, and trying to perfectly match mV, Henries, etc between generations is increasingly difficult. Plus, it really doesn't guarantee you're getting the "typical" pickup from each period, which is what we should be after here.

The best test I can think of would be to include at least 2 examples from each major period, but that amount of swapping is asking a LOT of any tester. To that end, I would rather see the effort put into comparing a proper '70s "The JB Model" and early- vs late-'80s "JBJ" models with modern JB's than waste that same effort on comparing a regular JB to something like the Duncan Designed HB-102.

I will say all pickups should be standard-spaced, no Trembuckers.

Comment

• All interesting points.

Whatever you guys send is what gets tested!

What if everyone says the DD 102 sounds best?!?!?!?!

Comment

• then we need to hear the dd102 in other guitars to be sure

Comment

All interesting points.

Whatever you guys send is what gets tested!

What if everyone says the DD 102 sounds best?!?!?!?!
                        Go by which one sounds the best vs which one you think should sound the best. Still subjective. But if you have people pick which one that they think should sound the best prior to hearing the recordings, then choose which recording actually sounds the best to them, you might actually get some useful results.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

• I think #3 sounds best honestly.
                          Play more guitar.

Comment

• I think that they all sound good.
                            Especially through an MT-2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Go by which one sounds the best vs which one you think should sound the best. Still subjective. But if you have people pick which one that they think should sound the best prior to hearing the recordings, then choose which recording actually sounds the best to them, you might actually get some useful results.

Exactly my point. There is a LOT of inter web influence where people are TOLD what is best, long before they ever hear, let alone feel one! When how I feel about it becomes more important than the actual sound, well, yeah.

Comment

• Bump - because a bunch of people couldn't tell a PG from an A2P from a T-Top. But no worries - you'll TOTALLY be able to define the subtle nuances of the shade of bobbin in this or that JB....

For those too lazy to look:

So I got my A2P's wired in to my Tigereye Caddy. And I thought you all needed a little sound sample. But that would be too simple. So I went all Goldilocks and the Three Bears on y'all! Here is a Soundcloud clip of me playing the intro riff to Sweet child on 3 different guitars. I play one round, followed by a D chord each
                                Last edited by Aceman; 04-08-2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X