No announcement yet.

The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unless you're doing this for your own uber-nerd-tone-chasing edification or getting paid, I can tell you that this would be a waste of time and resources, because the reward would be slim to none for the effort.

Besides that, we're already 27 pages in (!) and there's nothing to show for it but lots of yakking.

Comment

• Originally posted by LLL View Post
      Unless you're doing this for your own uber-nerd-tone-chasing edification or getting paid, I can tell you that this would be a waste of time and resources, because the reward would be slim to none for the effort.
      So, basically, just like every tone clip you have posted? Well, you would know...

Patience Sparky, I don't work on your time table.
      Last edited by Aceman; 04-09-2021, 06:22 AM.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

• Again, I’ll say the first pickup I ever obtained from this forum back in 2004 was an MJ wound TB-4. At the time, there was no mystique about them. It sounded great in everything I put it in.

Like a dumbass, I traded it, and got a newer SH-4 not long after. It did NOT sound the same. I know there was at least one RG470 I had for both pickups, and it did not sound as good with the second JB as the first.

The JBJ hype kicked up a considerable amount of time after that.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

• Ignorance does not necessarily equate to stupidity. Live and learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
            Again, I’ll say the first pickup I ever obtained from this forum back in 2004 was an MJ wound TB-4. At the time, there was no mystique about them. It sounded great in everything I put it in.

Like a dumbass, I traded it, and got a newer SH-4 not long after. It did NOT sound the same. I know there was at least one RG470 I had for both pickups, and it did not sound as good with the second JB as the first.

The JBJ hype kicked up a considerable amount of time after that.
            I did almost the same thing. Back in the days when I had one guitar, and one practice amp, I found an old double-cream JBJ in a box. It was from the 80's. I don't even know where it came from, or who Seymour Duncan was. I think I joined this forum in the late 90's just to sell it. It sold instantly. Years later, of participation here, I think I realized my mistake.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-09-2021, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• It’s also worth mentioning that the bobbin materials have changed. The magnets have changed. It’s quite possible the wire is from a different supplier.

I think the entire premise of this thread is somewhat backward. Given the length of time from the JBJ era to now, it seems more appropriate to ask for soundclips to prove they haven’t changed in that time.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post

So, basically, just like every tone clip you have posted? Well, you would know...

Patience Sparky, I don't work on your time table.
                No, my clips are for my own uber-nerd-tone-chasing edification; as mentioned in the very post you responded to:

Unless you're doing this for your own uber-nerd-tone-chasing edification or getting paid...
                Also, doing clips of tunes and doing test clips of pickups are two different things.

I'm not stopping you, just giving sage advice to someone (you) who isn't experienced at all with this clip testing thing.

It's a lot of work for little to no reward, unless it's for yourself.
                Last edited by LLL; 04-09-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LLL View Post

No, my clips are for my own uber-nerd-tone-chasing edification; as mentioned in the very post you responded to:

Also, doing clips of tunes and doing test clips of pickups are two different things.

I'm not stopping you, just giving sage advice to someone (you) who isn't experienced at all with this clip testing thing.

It's a lot of work for little to no reward, unless it's for yourself.
                  I don't know. I got ~90% on the Accept thing without a ton of effort, much to your dismay. We'll see.

Comment

• And since YOU brought it up....can I see/hear a few of your pickup comparison clips? I believe it is you who teaches, oh great sage, that if you don't do it, your opinion does not count....

So as YOU say, put up or shut up. And it better be something before today's date.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      And since YOU brought it up....can I see/hear a few of your pickup comparison clips? I believe it is you who teaches, oh great sage, that if you don't do it, your opinion does not count....

So as YOU say, put up or shut up. And it better be something before today's date.
                      That makes zero sense.

My advice was (in a nutshell) it is a pain in the ass with zero reward.

Therefore it would defy logic for me to go against my own advice and do pickup comparison clips.

OTOH, "put up or shut up" applies to when people make claims without backing them up (which a lot of people do on forums)

See the difference?

Comment

• Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

• Allow me to break down to some degree as to how this would transpire if it happened:

- unless you have every pickup at your personal disposal, you're going to need to communicate with others to temporarily acquire (borrow) said pickups
                          - the above will take a good amount of time as these people will need to box up & ship their pickups; who knows how long that will take

Once you finally acquire said pickups:

- you'll need to hone your recording skills so you can get a quality and consistent result for each test clip
                          - you'll have to pick one guitar to test on
                          - you'll prolly pick some sort of rhythm and/or solo lines that are repeatable (consistency).
                          - you'll have to set up your test rig including microphone(s) (if not going direct)

For the actual test:

- you'll record the 1st pickup, then possibly have to cut strings (depends on things as well as how consistent you want to be); if you don't
                          cut strings, then technically you're not being consistent (fresh set every clip would be optimal)
                          - you'll have to break out the soldering iron, disconnect the pickup, slap in the next pickup and solder it up, then possibly (as above) re-string and tune up
                          - repeat these steps for each pickup

Once done recording:

- you'll need to use a limiter or some plugin to normalize all of your clilps so they are close in volume level (consistency)
                          - you'll need to export all of these to .mp3 (320kbps is best - although .mp3s for a listening test is sort of a joke, should be uncompressed .wav or the like)
                          - you'll need to post each of these clips to Soundcloud or whatever website
                          - you'll need to post each clip on the forum and type up a long explanation of whatever "system" you used to test, etc...

The end result?

A hell of a lot of work for the "reward" of (most probable) "well, there's a very slight difference between the models".

And a lot of arguing from various posters about your method, about the tonal quality, about the slight differences, etc you name it.
                          Last edited by LLL; 04-09-2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Darth Phineas is one of the most well know pick-up reviewers and he does none of what you described.

Comment

• No matter what you do, 50% of the people will have a problem with it.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                No matter what you do, 50% of the people will have a problem with it.
                                I'm a Libertarian, so I'm ok with that.

I will say that I was a little shocked at the number of A2P views. That was just random. This has 27 pages of interest.

Plus, I'm a scientist. I do things just for the science of it. I'm not out to make mega-bucks. Just knowing that I could is enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X