The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Have we got to the point of this thread yet where people realize that the Tone Zone is a better pickup than the JB yet? :P
    I’d be more interested in knowing if we’ve gotten to the point where this experiment is actually going to happen or are we going to talk it to death.

Comment

• Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      Have we got to the point of this thread yet where people realize that the Tone Zone is a better pickup than the JB yet? :P
      That's funny! From what I've read, the EVH B1 bridge pickup in my Ernie Ball Axis is a Tone Zone tweaked for Eddie Van Halen. And yes, I do prefer it to a JB. The Tone Zone isn't exactly the same as the EVH B1 bridge pickup though. However, I found this post on the Ernie Ball Forum that describes how to supposedly make a Tone Zone sound exactly like the Dimarzio EVH B1 used in the Ernie Ball Axis/EVH guitar:

"The Tone Zone can be made to sound exactly like the EVH B1 if you have some basic pup working skills and know the fundamentals.

I mod all of my Tone Zones or Air Zones and they all sound EXACT to a EVH b1 bridge pup. The Tone Zone has the dual resonance design in that the two coils are not wound alike one is at 9.2K and the other at 8.6K. The B1 EVH has two matched coils both at 8.3K or so. The tone zone has more output, bass and is much more over the top than the EVH B1.

To make a Tone Zone come down to the B1's more pafish open tone and feel you have to make the stud side coil less hot. This is the 9.2K coil and it is what separates the Tone Zone from the EVH.
      This is done by creating an "air gap" so that on that one side there is a gap between the magnets edge and the screws

What this does to a Tone Zone is remarkable. It lowers the bass and output and makes the Tone Zone sound just like the EVH B1!

As far as the neck pup a regular NORTON is almost identical to the N2 EVH neck pup in tone. The air norton is sweet but lacks the power and creaminess of the EVH N2, The regular norton is better for this application."

Me? I've not tried what this guy suggests. Can't guarantee it works. But no one argued with him and all seemed to agree that it worked.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

• Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I’d be more interested in knowing if we’ve gotten to the point where this experiment is actually going to happen or are we going to talk it to death.
        Hey man - I'm one person....be patient. Can I really get away without doing this?!?!?!?!

Lot's to do - but the fact that the discussion is this long lasting suggests it needs done. Go read the OP again, and refresh your self in the meantime.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

• I'll just leave this right here...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Hey man - I'm one person....be patient. Can I really get away without doing this?!?!?!?!

Lot's to do - but the fact that the discussion is this long lasting suggests it needs done. Go read the OP again, and refresh your self in the meantime.
            I was just busting beans....no offense meant.

Are you still trying to get your hands on the pickups or are you set in that dept?

Comment

• If Ace doesn't feel like doing the demo, I can do it. I would compare a new JB, JBJ, Ant, Trash Factor, and an A5 Distortion.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

• I think we need zenmindbeginner (Geoff Waldron) to come back and make a formal comparison video.

THAT dude is dependable, has great chops, and an ear for tone!

Last edited by Masta' C; 12-02-2020, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  If Ace doesn't feel like doing the demo, I can do it. I would compare a new JB, JBJ, Ant, Trash Factor, and an A5 Distortion.
                  But no Jazz or Nirvana on a JB. Forum rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                    I think we need zenmindbeginner (Geoff Waldron) to come back and make a formal comparison video.
                    Is it zenmindbeginner that does all (or at least many of) the official SD pickup vids, usually on Hamers?

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

But no Jazz or Nirvana on a JB. Forum rules.
                      I can muster some Crue.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

• Since this test has been already done, and done so well by someone who can really play, why is there a need for another test?

BTW, I liked them all.

Overall, I tended to prefer the 35th Anniversary and the Antiquity versions. But at times the stock JB sounded just as good.

The differences between them were very subtle.

Of course this is a listening test. What's even more important is how a piece of gear makes the person doing the playing feel while he or she is playing it.

Does it inspire you? Which one inspires you the most? That can only be answered by the player. Not by the listener.

Still, if I were in the market for a JB and I listened to this video I think I'd go for the 35th Anniversary first, the Antiquity second and the stock JB third.

But they all sounded so similar that a person looking for a JB ought to be happy with any one of those three.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

• Originally posted by playas View Post

Is it zenmindbeginner that does all (or at least many of) the official SD pickup vids, usually on Hamers?
                          Yes! He did a bunch of demo vids for SD up until a couple years ago and that HSS Hamer is awesome. Shame that he didn't really get recognition for them, because they are excellent and he's a great player/songwriter.

More recently he's done some guitar demo vids, but I haven't seen much in the past 12-18 months. Hope he's doing okay...maybe I'll reach out to him

Comment

• Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Non-logo baseplates were exclusive to 1982 and earlier. . . .
                            Thanks Masta 'C. Great write up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                              Since this test has been already done, and done so well by someone who can really play, why is there a need for another test?

No Lew, what I am proposing has not been done. I can explain it to you, but I can't make you understand...in fact - this is a great example of exactly the problem with these things.

I'm also sorry if you don't get to decide who can and can't really play. Why are you assuming already that someone who can't play will be doing this? who are you talking about?
                              Last edited by Aceman; 12-03-2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                No Lew, what I am proposing has not been done. I can explain it to you, but I can't make you understand...
                                #truth

Comment

Working...
                                X