X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimarzio AT-1

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
      can you guys post some clips of the custom custom that you think sound good? i've been looking on youtube and nothing really stands out to me, seems like the CC is a very polite pickup, that must be the lack of highs from using A2
      It is also very compressed

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp View Post

It is also very compressed
        yeah it gives that impression.

i've narrowed it down to these pickups:

1. 59/Custom Hybrid
        2. Pegasus
        3. Screamin Demon

they all seem moderate output and not too compressed, with the 59/Custom sounding the most balanced and open, the Pegasus sounds a little more compressed and the Screamin Demon seems to be a bit more spiky like a full shred.

Comment

The Perpetual Burn is hardly scooped. It's a big, thick sounding pickup. There are plenty of mids. I have one in my Warmoth Strat. No lack of mids. The Screamin' Demon on the other hand has less mids than the PB, but it still has a decent amount of growl and sounds bigger than one would think. However, the Demon is much more at home through high gain amps like a Soldano or Boogie. For Marshall voiced amps, be prepared to shape the EQ different than you normally would. Depends on what you have. Nothing an overdrive pedal can't adjust (which I've for years with the Demon as I use that as well). The Custom Custom is thick mids as well. Might be exactly what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            The Perpetual Burn is hardly scooped. It's a big, thick sounding pickup. There are plenty of mids. I have one in my Warmoth Strat. No lack of mids. The Screamin' Demon on the other hand has less mids than the PB, but it still has a decent amount of growl and sounds bigger than one would think. However, the Demon is much more at home through high gain amps like a Soldano or Boogie. For Marshall voiced amps, be prepared to shape the EQ different than you normally would. Depends on what you have. Nothing an overdrive pedal can't adjust (which I've for years with the Demon as I use that as well). The Custom Custom is thick mids as well. Might be exactly what you are looking for.
            like the other user said, the CC is probably still too compressed for me and i haven't heard a clip that i thought sounded like it's what i would want with it really, i think A2 are too dark and too polite as well though that is a generalisation of course, but it is known that A5 are bright and more aggressive.

about the EQ of the Demon, do you mean it has that extreme amount of highs like the full shred? if that's the case i'll probably go with the Hybrid or Pegasus. thx

Comment

Try a 59b with a UOA5.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

like the other user said, the CC is probably still too compressed for me and i haven't heard a clip that i thought sounded like it's what i would want with it really, i think A2 are too dark and too polite as well though that is a generalisation of course, but it is known that A5 are bright and more aggressive.

about the EQ of the Demon, do you mean it has that extreme amount of highs like the full shred? if that's the case i'll probably go with the Hybrid or Pegasus. thx
                The CC is pretty compressed, yes, and highs are rounded but it is still a sweet pickup. Think VH Fair Warning. The Slash is A2 as well and the highs are there but it's also wound different and with thicker wire.

The Demon is not as peaky as the Full Shred, IME. The Demon is wound with 43 gauge wire like the Full Shred but at a much lower wind count. I didn't like the Full Shred that much when I tried it. The Demon is a pretty clear and articulate pickup with great harmonics. The site description is pretty spot on but it is not fire breather pickup. I use it in the neck too in the same guitar. The Hybrid may be exactly what you are looking for. The great thing is Seymour Duncan has the 21 day exchange policy.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

The CC is pretty compressed, yes, and highs are rounded but it is still a sweet pickup. Think VH Fair Warning. The Slash is A2 as well and the highs are there but it's also wound different and with thicker wire.

The Demon is not as peaky as the Full Shred, IME. The Demon is wound with 43 gauge wire like the Full Shred but at a much lower wind count. I didn't like the Full Shred that much when I tried it. The Demon is a pretty clear and articulate pickup with great harmonics. The site description is pretty spot on but it is not fire breather pickup. I use it in the neck too in the same guitar. The Hybrid may be exactly what you are looking for. The great thing is Seymour Duncan has the 21 day exchange policy.
                  I'm in the EU so returning pickups is not an option, but a local luthier has allowed me to try different pickups in the past, don't know if he still offers that service, i'll try to find out more about the Hybrid and Demon, i've kind of written off the Pegasus as it seems to be a bit too tight/compressed

Comment

"Medium output" being a subjective term...

Custom Custom has the mids, but may be too "hot".

Regardless, if you love your mids coming straight from the pickup, go with an AlNiCo-2 magnet.

Alternatively, use a given "medium output" pickup that you like (but to you, is lacking in mids), and goose your amp with an EQ boosting 500Hz, 800Hz, 1KHz (to taste).

For example, a PAF type (A2 or A5) with an MXR 6 Band or 10 Band.

Also, a Pearly Gates (bridge) comes to mind...
                    Last edited by LLL; 09-26-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

JB (and various import copies of same) and the Custom Custom are my 2 favourite bridge pups on mahogany.maple arch tops. Seriously +1 for having the option of putting the JB in parallel to get a clean PAF type sound. Of course when you crank up the Gain the JB comes into it's own.

Comment

Check the Distortion neck. 13k and middy. Stick an A2 in it.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

I don't think there is a pickup with BIGGER mids than the Custom Custom. When it came out many people described it as sounding like Eddie Van Halen's "brown sound".
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The Hybrid has about as many mids as the 59- in other words, it has more bass and treble than mids. The EQ is like the 59 or Custom, where it comes from. Other mid heavy pickups are the Black Winters. The regular Alnico II Pro is about the most non-compressed mid-heavy pickup there is.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              The Hybrid has about as many mids as the 59- in other words, it has more bass and treble than mids. The EQ is like the 59 or Custom, where it comes from. Other mid heavy pickups are the Black Winters. The regular Alnico II Pro is about the most non-compressed mid-heavy pickup there is.
                              it does seem to sound a lot fatter than the 59, which maybe i perceive as having more mids?

https://espguitars.co.jp/seymourdunc...tonechart.html

this chart rates the hybrid at B:6, M:8 and T:8 and the 59 at B:6, M:3 and T:8 though

the custom custom is rated at 3 : 7 : 7 there, so not too far off from the hybrid and JB in the EQ aspect
                              Last edited by Reee; 09-26-2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

The Perpetual Burn is a pretty "polite" sounding pickup and it doesn't have that mid cut you say you want. I would recommend the Hybrid it can get sweet but has insane harmonics and cuts well in the mids.
                                Have a couple JB's a PB and a couple Hybrids in play in my guitars now so know them all very well.
                                Pretty accurate demo on the Hybrid here.
                                Last edited by Ascension; 09-26-2020, 12:15 PM.
                                Guitars
                                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X