Questions about my 'Do It All' Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    If by "reverse wind" you mean the pup manufacturer actually winding the coils in reverse at the time of construction, sure i agree with the idea of a 2nd polarity reversal occuring.

But based on the behahviors mincer and i have seen from our two SD made pups, it seems only the mag was flipped. Incorporatinf your point, if wind had been reversed, we should be seeing Green wire at tradiional - instead of +. But we're not.

So i apologize for calling these two pups "RWRP" in the last several threads. They're apparently only RP. That created confusion. My apologies.

Fyi: the label on mine literally reads "RP", not "RWRP".
    No apology necessary. It's been an intriguing and interesting discussion. But it was the RW thing that was throwing me. In Mincer's post #3 and #10, he gives the impression that it was a Custom Shop build that was RW/RP. I see now that it isn't.

So, I'm guessing now, that my fig. 2 diagram is what should be incorporated into the original diagram. Does that seem correct?

BTW, the original diagram calls the bridge RWRP. Is it just the neck that's RP?

Comment

I believe this is what is needed now. This assumes magnet flip only, on the neck pup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mincer_HH-02.png
Views:	130
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	6088123

Comment

Thanks Artie.

Coincidentally, look at what is written on the side of this trash can. Words to live by. I am out walking the dogs right now.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          I believe this is what is needed now. This assumes magnet flip only, on the neck pup.

Name:	Mincer_HH-02.png
Views:	130
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	6088123
          Hmmm. That could work, i haven't evaluated it. But i see a lot of additional wiring changes poles. If working with the diagram as it currently is - without getting into all those additional changes, i still think my earlier suggestion would work. Which is, using Green as hot for the Neck, simply swap destinations of Lugs 2 and 4 on the pole where the Neck series link pair is attached.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Ahh, dog walk over.

Artie, agreed your fix to the diagram works, by making the South coil in the pickup with the mag flip the lead coil, something I mentioned a few replies back. Nice work.

Mincer, if you don't feel up to rewiring to that extent and just want to tweak what you have to get it to work, my earlier advice to flip destinations on lugs 2 and 4 of the pole that has Neck's series link pair conncted to it, will also get the job done.

Comment

. . . I still think my earlier suggestion would work. Which is, using Green as hot for the Neck, simply swap destinations of Lugs 2 and 4 on the pole where the Neck series link pair is attached.
              Yes. You're correct, and your way is easier. The only difference is that it's the bridge #2 & #4 connections that need reversed. Like this:

I copied that from the first diagram. The comment about "Bridge being RW/RP" should be omitted. Neck should be mag flipped (RP), is all.

(And sorry I missed that the first time. I still had my head stuck in the "reverse-wound" thang at that point.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mincer_HH-01.png Views:	0 Size:	676.1 KB ID:	6088142
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-14-2021, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Yes. You're correct, and your way is easier. The only difference is that it's the bridge #2 & #4 connections that need reversed. Like this:

I copied that from the first diagram. The comment about "Bridge being RW/RP" should be omitted. Neck should be mag flipped (RP), is all.

(And sorry I missed that the first time. I still had my head stuck in the "reverse-wound" thang at that point.)

Click image for larger version Name:	Mincer_HH-01.png Views:	0 Size:	676.1 KB ID:	6088142
                Yep. Earlier i was thinking position 2 was supposed to be Borh Inners. But its supposed to be Borh Outers.

That last diagram states at bottom that its for "RWRP". Is that accurate? I believe we're still dealing with a pup that is just RP. Reflected by Green instead of Black being used as hot wire.

Comment

Wait, north coil of neck pup as lead coil of that pup (green wire as hot), and its also the outer coil too in the neck.... To get outer coil as active coil in that scenario, the series link pair gets sent to ground, not shunted.

Comment

Keep in mind that Mincers pup is only RP. I notice your last diagram has a note at bottom saying the diagram is for a RWRP. Maybe thats creating some confusion?

Comment

Keep in mind that Mincers pup is only RP. I notice your last diagram has a note at bottom saying the diagram is for a RWRP. Maybe thats creating some confusion?
                      No. In my post #68, I noted that that was left over from the original diagram. I forgot to "edit" it out when I changed the colors. Fixed.

Faulty diagram deleted. Will upload corrected one tomorrow.
                      Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-14-2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Ok. But i still say that its the Neck side lug 2 that needs to get sent to ground, to get Neck outer coil in Position 2, and neck side lug 4 that needs to gets shunted to get Neck inner coil in Position 4. Since the neck pup is only RP and green wire is being used as Hot wire (outer coil/north coil is the lead coil for that pup).

Comment

Here's the other thing that's messing with me . . . the PA-1n that I have on my bench, doesn't have the logo on it. If I place it, (and my PA-3b), on my bench with both backplate "Trembucker" stampings right-side-up, then the inside coils are the B/W wires. Since that's typically how Duncan pups are oriented, then I assume I have the neck pup correct. I have a pair of PA-1's in an LP around here somewhere, but it's buried in a closet, and I can't get to it 'til tomorrow to see how it's pups are oriented.

If the B/W coils are truly on the inside, then that diagram should be correct. This is what is effectively happening:

Name:	Humbucker_Modes-03.png
Views:	138
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	6088165

Comment

Ok. But i still say that its the Neck side lug 2 that needs to get sent to ground, to get Neck outer coil in Position 2, and neck side lug 4 that needs to gets shunted to get Neck inner coil in Position 4. Since the neck pup is only RP and green wire is being used as Hot wire (outer coil/north coil is the lead coil for that pup).
                            Well dang! You're right again. My head is spinning. The pic I just uploaded, (while you were posting), shows that you are correct. So Mincer, ignore that diagram. I'll do the corrected one tomorrow. I'm burnt.

Thanks Jack for double-checking me. But it would be helpful if Mincer could tell us which way the neck pup logo is oriented. Is it on the same coil as above the backplate "Trembucker" stamping, or below it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Thanks! It seemed easy when I did it on the other guitars. The neck pickup in this set being rw/rp is throwing me.
                              Mincer,

While Artie and I are still working out an agreememt on certain aspects of the wirng, we are agreed that the neck pickup you received is Reverse Polarity only (mag flip). It's not also Reverse Wound. So its not RWRP, just RP. Don't know if you caught that amongst the many replies.

Wanted to make you aware in case you wanted to let Customer Service know about that. Maybe on your end, confirm that you actually requested RWRP. Maybe you phrased your order only as mag flip or reverse polarity. If you did that, then what you received is accurate to what you requested.
                              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-14-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

While Artie and I are still working out an agreement on certain aspects of the wiring . . .
                                And Jack's a great proofreader. He caught several of my mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X