X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjy_26
    replied
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Why not try putting the neck pup in the bridge and visa versa?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
    The neck is rated at 8k and the bridge is rated at 8.5k. if you think about it, that's well within 10% of each other, which, to me, is statistically the same. You could get a neck that's as hot as a bridge or a bridge that's tje same as the neck in any given set.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Why not try putting the neck pup in the bridge and visa versa?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied
    Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I've heard from a few people that the Phat Cat's leave something to be desired. The neck too muddy and the bridge too bright? I figured the P-Rails would be a better shout for single coil sized p-90s from Duncan.
    I think that if Seymour had wound the neck to about 7.5k, it would be a much more popular set. I have a pair of them in my LP for straight up jazz sounds with flat wounds and alnico IV mags in the neck. It works well, but the neck is still a little too hot for the bridge as it is. I may try Alnico III in the neck and Alnico V or VIII in the bridge to get the tones and outputs to match up better.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I remembered another one: Phat Cats. I clearly don't "hate" them. But I was underwhelmed. GFS Dream 90's took their place. I DO hate saying that.
    I've heard from a few people that the Phat Cat's leave something to be desired. The neck too muddy and the bridge too bright? I figured the P-Rails would be a better shout for single coil sized p-90s from Duncan.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I remembered another one: Phat Cats. I clearly don't "hate" them. But I was underwhelmed. GFS Dream 90's took their place. I DO hate saying that.

Leave a comment:

• zizyphus
    replied
    I forgot, I had a GFS Dream 180, paired with a Duncan Designed Hot Rails, in an import Tele. That was such a sweet pairing, I may bring her back.

I don't recall ever meeting a Duncan Designed that I didn't like. Sometimes, I think they sound better than their USA counterpart.
    and for their part, while GFS can be hit or miss, their hits hit HARD, especially considering their low price tag

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I forgot, I had a GFS Dream 180, paired with a Duncan Designed Hot Rails, in an import Tele. That was such a sweet pairing, I may bring her back.

I don't recall ever meeting a Duncan Designed that I didn't like. Sometimes, I think they sound better than their USA counterpart.

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post

Hi Rex, How was your experience with the WLH? Which guitar did you end up putting it in?

I wasn't a fan of WLH. For me it had too much intensity in the upper mids and top end.

It was in a PRS SE Nick Catanese singlecut. It was nice, but yeah, definitely bright.

Many people describe that pickup as fat. It wasn't all that fat for me. It definitely had some snarl to it. I found the '59B fatter in the lows, and a bit airier too. I actually prefer the '59B overall.

Leave a comment:

• Teleplayer
    replied
    Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Another pickup that I like that many people seem to hate on is the Phat Cat Neck. I don't find it dark at all. I love how it matches with chunky A5 PAF-types in the bridge like the '59 or the WLH.
    Hi Rex, How was your experience with the WLH? Which guitar did you end up putting it in?

I wasn't a fan of WLH. For me it had too much intensity in the upper mids and top end.

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied
    Another pickup that I like that many people seem to hate on is the Phat Cat Neck. I don't find it dark at all. I love how it matches with chunky A5 PAF-types in the bridge like the '59 or the WLH.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-07-2022, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JamesPaul
    replied
    Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

I love the Demon, but I love the Custom more. In an LP into a Marshall, it's the sound of hard rock. I've never felt the desire to try an A5 in the Custom, so no comment on that one.
    I do love my Custom too! Especially into my Marshall I sold and the Marshall-esque amp I have today.

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    replied
    Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
    I can never get into the Custom or Custom 5 for some reason. Just pretty plain sounding to my ears with no real character

A pickup I LOVE in the right guitar is the Screamin' Demon, a very "controversial" pickup it seems.
    I love the Demon, but I love the Custom more. In an LP into a Marshall, it's the sound of hard rock. I've never felt the desire to try an A5 in the Custom, so no comment on that one.

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

Right now, it has a set of the Duncan Designed Hot Rails. (HR-101's I think.) Great pups, but I want to try something else.
    Depending on what you're playing, the old MIM steel pole, ceramic mag singles are really nice. I've also been digging the Tex Mex set a lot lately. Both have been somewhat maligned in the past, but they fit their niche well, I think.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
    If you have loud-ish singles in the neck and mid, the Muy Grande will blend well.
    Right now, it has a set of the Duncan Designed Hot Rails. (HR-101's I think.) Great pups, but I want to try something else.

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

Ok. I have a white Squier Strat sitting here waiting as a project. I might give that a try. That is, when I get a spare moment.
    If you have loud-ish singles in the neck and mid, the Muy Grande will blend well. I think Rio's singles are wound in the 6-7k range, so a bit louder than traditional strat pickups, but inline with a slightly hotter SSL-2.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X