High-gain passive recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-gain passive recommendations

Hey guys, so I've been looking for a while for a very specific humbucker sound. I want a pickup with tight lows and present top-end, but with a nice vowelly high-midrange and chord clarity under distortion. I've got a few of references here:
    Merch: http://riserecords.merchnow.com/catalogs/issuesiTunes: http://smarturl.it/issues-headspaceAJ proudly uses Fractal Audio Systems, Kiesel Custom Guitars...

ToneCrate June 2018 features Brody Uttley of Rivers of Nihil and his signature Kemper bundle featuring 7 amazing amps all profiled with the elusive Fortin 33...

New album "Noir" out NOW via Sharptone Records / Arising EmpireORDER The Tab book : http://novelists.bigcartel.com/product/noir-tab-bookThe album "Noir" : ht...

I'd really like the chords to ring out clearly under high gain with a kind of "bwah" sort of sound. Any recommendations?

Welcome to the forum!
    Listening to the clips, my thought with this kind of sound would be a Pegasus/Sentient set. If the guitar naturally has a brighter sound, I might go with the Black Winter.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I am on my 2nd Black Winter guitar. I have a single in my Strat and HH in my SG. A friend of mine played the Strat on Friday and said he might have to kill me if I didn't gift him the Strat. Keep in mind this is a very hard rock/classic metal kind of guy, not a death or black metal guy in any way. The interesting thing was he turned off the distortion and started playing The Trees by RUSH. Even though it is my guitar, I was blown away by the cleanliness of the BW bridge. Shamefully I must admit that 99.9% of the time I am playing the BW I am playing something heavier. Outside of the day I installed it I haven't really heard that pickup clean.

Comment

The Black Winter can do clean better than most metal-focused pickups.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sounds cool! I've thought about those two before, but didn't go in-depth with them. I'll definitely look into them more.

Comment

I would look into the Nazgul/Sentient, Alpha/Omega, And Black Winter sets from the Duncan range!

Comment

Originally posted by ProgMXCnerd70 View Post
              Sounds cool! I've thought about those two before, but didn't go in-depth with them. I'll definitely look into them more.
              Interesting you have PROG in your user name. In the review I wrote of the BW I suggested it would make a tremendous prog-rock pickup for the heavier styles of prog. Here is the review.

Comment

It's killing me right now that I don't have a BW set in not even one of my guitars.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  It's killing me right now that I don't have a BW set in not even one of my guitars.
                  One of us has to move closer to the other. You could come over here and grab any guitar you wanted.
                  Last edited by Securb; 01-03-2023, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

One of us has to move closer to the other. You could come over here and grab any guitar you wanted.
                    Not a fan of winter in the Valley of the Sun.
                    And winter in NH is pretty close to winter in MN. Which I am even less of a fan of.
                    Wyoming?
                    And that exchange would work in either direction.
                    Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Demanic; 01-03-2023, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Another vote for Black Winter. I found the Pegasus to be very compressed and nasally. BW are very crisp and tight without sounding sterile, imo

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TNTales View Post
                        Another vote for Black Winter. I found the Pegasus to be very compressed and nasally. BW are very crisp and tight without sounding sterile, imo

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
                        Thanks, dude! I appreciate your input.

Comment

Yup, Black Winter can cop pretty much all those tones with the right amp settings

Comment

My first thought was Black Winter. In a Les Paul type, it's the most 'active' sounding pickup I've experienced, very tight, even; though it might not have the upper mid vowel character you are looking for. It's the one pickup where I got the character out of the amp instead. In a super strat, IME, it's a slightly different animal. Has more warmth and mids, Tight and bright like a Duncan Distortion, but a more modern cleaner/clearer version and a slight mid-peak. I don't know how much the guitar body/neck itself contributed to those differences, however.

What kind of guitar is this going in?
                            What amp/cab are you using?

Outside of the suggestions already made, I'd have to wonder if another brand might have something, like a DiMarzio model (I'm less familiar with their line.)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              My first thought was Black Winter. In a Les Paul type, it's the most 'active' sounding pickup I've experienced, very tight, even; though it might not have the upper mid vowel character you are looking for. It's the one pickup where I got the character out of the amp instead. In a super strat, IME, it's a slightly different animal. Has more warmth and mids, Tight and bright like a Duncan Distortion, but a more modern cleaner/clearer version and a slight mid-peak. I don't know how much the guitar body/neck itself contributed to those differences, however.

What kind of guitar is this going in?
                              What amp/cab are you using?

Outside of the suggestions already made, I'd have to wonder if another brand might have something, like a DiMarzio model (I'm less familiar with their line.)
                              I would be using a Triple Rectifier model on my Firehawk FX with a Precision Drive in front to tighten it up. I have it running through a V30 type IR.
                              I've also thought about the Bare Knuckle Juggernaut or the DiMarzio Illuminators, as well as the SD line. It's going into a super strat-type 6 string tuned to Drop A#.

Comment

Working...
                              X