Introducing the HyperSwitch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    USB rechargeable would have been the smartest addition. Don't even need to remove a plate.
    Fishman has something like that
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      Fishman has something like that
      You beat me to it. Fishman/Fluence has a universal, and Strat-specific pack. (Also LP.)

https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/rechargeable-battery-pack-for-strat/

https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/universal-rechargeable-battery-pack/

Comment

Some great comments on this thread. Thanks for taking the time to check it out! Can't wait to see what kind of creative things the players come up with. I was trying to replicate some of the obvious ones - Brian May, Peter Greene even a relatively simple Steve Vai 4th position.

Comment

Originally posted by McD View Post
          Some great comments on this thread. Thanks for taking the time to check it out! Can't wait to see what kind of creative things the players come up with. I was trying to replicate some of the obvious ones - Brian May, Peter Greene even a relatively simple Steve Vai 4th position.
          Happy you notice! I think overall, we are pretty excited something like this now exists.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Pretty cool technology, and great for experimentation. I think back to my days of experimentation and now shiver at the thought of pulling the guard off a strat to rewire a superswitch because I didn't like all the positions. This seems like a great way to play around with different combinations without needing any soldering skills or equipment.

It will be interesting to see if future versions allow the red/white to go to different terminals. The parallel in-phase operation is a surprising miss to me - especially considering pickups like the P-Rails and the vintage rails practically beg to be run in parallel. Separating red/white presumably could also unlock several series options.
            Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

In the next hardware rev, add one more connection point in the Phoenix (screw capture) block, for 13 total connections, common all of the shields, then you have 4 connection points for each pup, adjust the software accordingly, should give you discrete access to each individual coil...

Comment

The current install instructions definitely show red & white tied together, which would make parallel of an individual pup impossible. It's kind of a shame that they waste one terminal for the bare wire, which can always go straight to ground. That would leave an extra terminal for red & white to be separated.

I still love the idea, but that is just a shame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyperswitch.png
Views:	291
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	6231929

Comment

Keep in mind the idea here is that it is updateable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I think as more understand the possibilities it will gain some interest. You can save banks of 5 positions (in any order), and send them to the guitar whenever you want. For someone like me that uses a pretty screwy selection of positions on the 5 way, it would be a lot easier. Also, it would make it super easy to try a bunch of ideas without having to open up the guitar, which is a pita on Strats.

I thought I previously read that it's also got a couple of different capacitor values in it that you can use? Is that this? Or am I mistaken?
                    JC
                    -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                    -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                    -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                    -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                    -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                    -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post

I thought I previously read that it's also got a couple of different capacitor values in it that you can use? Is that this? Or am I mistaken?
                      You can read about the Hyperswitch's capabilities in the manual, here (current software version).

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post

Taken from the Hyperswitch instruction manual, for quick reference:

You can also include tone control settings to each patch. For each tone control, you can choose:

• Off (black): the tone control is bypassed.

• Dim (grey): the tone control on your guitar will operate the stock tone control.

• Blue: a .027 uf capacitor is wired in series to give a different taper to your stock tone control.

If you have a .047 uf capacitor as stock on your tone control, this setting will change the tone control to .017 uf, and will keep more treble in while rolling down the tone control.

And… if you have a guitar with 2 tone controls, you can have both activated and able to affect the current patch!

Honestly, while I know there's been some confusion over this switch and some skepticism, I'm really impressed with all that it can do and the relative ease of use and installation.
                        I think as more people start to really see how this works and what it all does, they'll realize the benefits of having something like this.
                        I was concerned at first with the whole battery thing as well, but from what I can tell it seems like the battery will have quite a long life as long as you're not staying connected to the Bluetooth for a really long time. And I don't see why someone would do that since there's no benefit really or need to being connected to the Bluetooth once you've selected your settings, etc.
                        A rechargable battery would be an interesting idea possibly for future updates to this, I think if there's enough interest in that from players then that's something that could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by RevDoom73 View Post

Taken from the Hyperswitch instruction manual, for quick reference:

You can also include tone control settings to each patch. For each tone control, you can choose:

• Off (black): the tone control is bypassed.

• Dim (grey): the tone control on your guitar will operate the stock tone control.

• Blue: a .027 uf capacitor is wired in series to give a different taper to your stock tone control.

If you have a .047 uf capacitor as stock on your tone control, this setting will change the tone control to .017 uf, and will keep more treble in while rolling down the tone control.

And… if you have a guitar with 2 tone controls, you can have both activated and able to affect the current patch!

Honestly, while I know there's been some confusion over this switch and some skepticism, I'm really impressed with all that it can do and the relative ease of use and installation.
                          I think as more people start to really see how this works and what it all does, they'll realize the benefits of having something like this.
                          I was concerned at first with the whole battery thing as well, but from what I can tell it seems like the battery will have quite a long life as long as you're not staying connected to the Bluetooth for a really long time. And I don't see why someone would do that since there's no benefit really or need to being connected to the Bluetooth once you've selected your settings, etc.
                          A rechargable battery would be an interesting idea possibly for future updates to this, I think if there's enough interest in that from players then that's something that could happen.
                          Yes, the battery lasts a crazy long time (and there is a 'sleep mode' to prevent it from draining. While you need the battery for the switch to operate, the biggest drain is bluetooth. But once your settings are saved, it doesn't need to access your phone.

Comment

I got my hyper switch in the other day and plan to install it this weekend. Need to rewire the whole pickguard while at it. I'm excited at the possibility of all the different positions and possibilities. Really bummed about not being able to get parallel in phase tones though...
                            It's funny how some stories became historic,
                            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Check out the HyperSwitch!

Gone are the days of reading wiring diagrams, and the trial-and-error experimentation with the soldering iron. Instead, rewire your guitar with the touch of your phone. The Seymour Duncan HyperSwitch™ system is the merging of traditional and technological platforms that empowers guitarists of all skill levels to effortlessly and immediately change the wiring configuration of their passive pickups.
                              A result of considerable research and development, the patent pending HyperSwitch™ is a powerful and uber functional active 5-way blade that is compatible with most passive pickups. Design, store, and recall your custom pickup configurations with the easy-to-use mobile app. HyperSwitch™ pairs with your smart phone via Bluetooth and runs on a 9v battery.
                              Using the mobile app, a player with 3 humbuckers, for example, will be able to configure their pickups in hundreds of possible ways! The mobile app can be found in Apple’s App Store for iOS devices and the Google Play Store for Android devices.

I've used this, and it makes a lot of my favorite wiring schemes very easy. You don't have to have your guitar connected to your phone all the time, just on the initial setup (or to switch switching schemes). Amazing technology.
                              What's about a similar switch for Bass Guitar ?

Comment

Originally posted by RinaldisBass View Post

What's about a similar switch for Bass Guitar ?
                                Well, a switch is a switch, so I'd assume, depending on the pickups, it would work on a bass as well especially if you have a 5 way.

Comment

Working...
                                X