Blackened Black Winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackened Black Winter?

I remember I had one, but for some reason, it was lower output than my standard Black Winter. I didn't get to A/B the difference, honestly. I sold it pretty quick thinking I might have gotten a dud.

But is it supposed to be lower output? No, right?

I'm thinking about giving it a second chance. I want to know what to expect the difference will be? I love the regular Black Winter. It's one of the tightest if not the tightest passive I've played. But what I love is it tends to bring out what I like the most about each guitar. Also, it has a very characteristic raspy attack that I haven't found in another pickup.

So basically, will the Blackened version be even more of that? As in tighter and more attacky even?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-11-2024, 10:32 PM.

This thread may explain things.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I didn't notice any difference between the BW and the BBW.
      ...but it does look cooler.
      https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Same here, they are the same. I heard minor differences, but I have the BW in a Superstrat and the BBW in my SG, which are now in my LP. I don't have to touch the amp when switching guitars.

Comment

The "Blackened" version isn't any lower output than the standard version...there's no difference in the winds or internal construction, only the aesthetics and use of hex poles. I'm assuming you were going by DCR when comparing your two examples?

The sonic differences between the "Blackened" and standard version are subtle, with the blackened being perhaps a tad tighter and brighter, but I absolutely love the LOOK of the "Blackened" version, hands down!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            The "Blackened" version isn't any lower output than the standard version...there's no difference in the winds or internal construction, only the aesthetics and use of hex poles. I'm assuming you were going by DCR when comparing your two examples?
            No, I'm comparing in actual output. One was quieter than the other when recording DI's IIRC. I even switched it between two guitars, and it was the same on both I remember.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I've had a few Duncans that have been "odd" even if I bought new.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-12-2024, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 7.58.28 PM.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6270382

Well... I mean, it wouldn't look bad to match the Evo in the neck of my Les Paul.

Comment

I have used some form of a Black Winter since not long after the release. I always thought it was to dark sounding compared to a Distortion or an EVO2. I tried the standard ones in a dropped B tuned John 5 Tele. It worked well to tame a bright guitar and have tight bass. I tuned it back to E and haven't found a pickup that works in that guitar at all. I then put both pickups in a Les Paul standard. It was a little dark but had good bass. I ordered the Blackened Black Winter for the Paul. Brighter in the bridge and neck and less low mids in the neck by a good bit. It was to bright in the bridge. I ordered a Black Winter because I knew the bass was good in the trembucker. I got one with blackened cosmetics to match the neck pickup. The part that ended the pickups in the paul was the bass output was way to low. The odd thing is, if you look at the EQ on the pickup page, it lists the trembucker as having slightly more bass than the standard. That is exactly what I heard. I still haven't found a pickup for the paul either.

This is to say finding pickups in these two guitars that sound similar to a distortion in a super strat and and evo2 set in an Ibanez SZ. Those two guitatars are my favorites. I don't want to twist EQ knobs everytime I pick up a different guitar. A tone knob is ok, thats why they are there. Both the paul and the tele are so incredibly mid forward guitars, I always find myself reaching for the midrange knob, at least in comparison to the other two favorite guitars.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I took out a set of Lukather pickups in a super strat and wanted to try the Black Winters in that guitar. Yup, too dark still. I switched to the blackened ones... absolutly perfect. Now I can pick up three guitars and have three different flovors of tone that don't need a gain adjustment or an EQ change.

Take all of this with a grain of salt. I am 47 and have tinitus. lol

These are the Blackened Black Winters in action in a super strat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ5K4T78_5Y https://soundcloud.com/jeffsmusic4919/blackened-rock After some time with these pickup in a Pes Paul Standard, I took them out. These sound way better in a Super Strat. I won't bore anybody with details unless I am asked.
                Last edited by Jeffsmusic4919; 02-14-2024, 06:11 PM.

Comment

"Blackened Black Winter" could evoke imagery and themes commonly associated with dark, atmospheric music genres such as black metal or doom metal. The phrase suggests a bleak and cold setting, perhaps symbolizing a harsh winter enveloped in darkness and desolation. Musically, compositions under this title might feature intense, distorted guitars layered with haunting melodies, relentless drumming, and guttural vocals, creating an atmosphere of melancholy and despair. Lyrically, it could explore themes of existential angst, isolation, and the unforgiving nature of winter as a metaphor for inner turmoil or societal decay. Overall, "Blackened Black Winter" likely serves as a sonic and thematic exploration of bleakness and introspection within the realm of heavy and atmospheric music.

Comment

Could this be our first AI member on the forum?
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      Could this be our first AI member on the forum?
                      He is, and he's gone. Let me know if you see anything else like this.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X