• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Re: Friendly Solo Contest 2

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
    Nah. I see theory merely as guidelines for making music.

I'd like to hear in what way you think I don't understand them, but that would be long misunderstood dialogue and I don't want to derail this thread.
    Agreed, besides you can’t teach somebody who already knows it all.
    Thanks for your submissions anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Why not? Because it’s wrong.

We clearly have different ideas about what sounds good.

No offense but you don’t at all understand the concept of modes. I know you think you do, but you really don’t.
    Nah. I see theory merely as guidelines for making music.

I'd like to hear in what way you think I don't understand them, but that would be long misunderstood dialogue and I don't want to derail this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Why not

It actually sounded really good over the clean parts. Only ditched it because the middle part before major sounded crappy.
    Why not? Because it’s wrong.

We clearly have different ideas about what sounds good.

No offense but you don’t at all understand the concept of modes. I know you think you do, but you really don’t.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Why would you play Locrian?
    This song is in E Aeolian/G Ionian.
    The music dictates what you play, not the other way around.
    Why not

It actually sounded really good over the clean parts. Only ditched it because the middle part before major sounded crappy.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Why would you play Locrian?
    This song is in E Aeolian/G Ionian.
    The music dictates what you play, not the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
    Well in this instance: "pear shaped" means out of tune (as in notes that don't fit with the key of the track) and therefore a bit hard on the ears (at least between 0:37 and 1:10). Not quite sure of another nice way to explain.

Reverb and delay: must be a nice big room!!! LOL!!!

Listen up. Don't get upset. Just giving you my opinion is all.
    No offense taken. It's always good to get feedback for improvement.

I wasn't sure if you meant "doesn't go nowhere" with "pear shaped". I was holding it back up to the major part, and I agree it did came up bit off sounding.

Earlier revision I actually played Locrian through first part and the ending for the same effect.

BTW: I like my echoes subtle.

Leave a comment:

• dpaterson
    replied

Well in this instance: "pear shaped" means out of tune (as in notes that don't fit with the key of the track) and therefore a bit hard on the ears (at least between 0:37 and 1:10). Not quite sure of another nice way to explain.

Reverb and delay: must be a nice big room!!! LOL!!!

Listen up. Don't get upset. Just giving you my opinion is all.

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied

What the heck means pear shaped?

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Hey, hey.

I assume that's without your new toy??? Sounds better anyway. You take it back to the shop or what??? LOL!!!

Now listen. Just tryin' to help here.

Nice. Much better. And I can see where it's going i.e. I can feel and hear your idea right up until 0:36. But at 0:37 something goes distinctly pear shaped I'm afraid. Maybe also wouldn't hurt to mix the guitar down just a notch and maybe add some delay and reverb maybe??? But that's a personal choice of course.

But hey: if nothing else you're at least taking the time and going to trouble of submitting stuff. Good on you.
    It doesn't really have "an idea" in it... Just improvisation. What the heck means pear shaped?

It actually does have both delay and reverb. Sounds just right in room, but recording might warrant a bit more.

Leave a comment:

• dpaterson
    replied

Hey, hey.

I assume that's without your new toy??? Sounds better anyway. You take it back to the shop or what??? LOL!!!

Now listen. Just tryin' to help here.

Nice. Much better. And I can see where it's going i.e. I can feel and hear your idea right up until 0:36. But at 0:37 something goes distinctly pear shaped I'm afraid. Maybe also wouldn't hurt to mix the guitar down just a notch and maybe add some delay and reverb maybe??? But that's a personal choice of course.

But hey: if nothing else you're at least taking the time and going to trouble of submitting stuff. Good on you.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

So version number three:

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied

I got a new toy. Really fun thing

Took couple of test runs with it.

Got an error. I’ve been wanting to buy an EHX FA for a while!

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Is it an Octave pedal or something like that (don’t think you saw my earlier question)???
    EHX Frequency Analyzer. It adds a note lower to the key (and higher as well if set with a switch), which is controllable by two knobs with different frequency sweep: Basically every note outside the root starts to get all sorts of funky dissonances. Makes lead playing like dancing on a minefield with some really sweet overtones emerging when you hit the right note.

Really a weird thing that needs some work to figure out.

Leave a comment:

• dpaterson
    replied

Is it an Octave pedal or something like that (don’t think you saw my earlier question)???

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Dude... I dunno what new toy that is... But I sure do hope it has a warranty...

And if you’re saying this is better than your first version (which I don’t see on this thread but it is on your SoundCloud channel)... Sorry to break the bad news to you... But no it ain’t!!! LOL!!!
    No you don't get it. It supposed to sound like that

Actually I listened that again after posting it (and edited my post). I did recall it to be much worse than it actually was... Damn...

Still don't quite like the tone in that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X