Marshall JCM2000 owners, reunite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM2000 owners, reunite!

Hey, just wanted to bring back some love for this amp. Let's hear some updates from everyone who:
    •still has theirs and loves it
    •still has theirs and hates it
    •got rid of thiers
    •got rid of theirs be they miss it
    •has played one for more than 5 minutes

TSL fanatics/haters welcome as well!

talk about settings, tubes, speakers, post pics, and generally yak it up!

Re: Marshall JCM2000 owners, reunite!

I have a DSL50 and love the clean channel but am still feeling out the "Marshall Crunch". I bought the DSL because I was unhappy with the clean on my old Mesa Single Rect. The problem is now I feel the opposite about the DSL (Love the clean and not sure about the Marshall Crunch). These are undoubtedly good sounding amps however I'm still not sure it's "the amp" for me.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Here's mine:

Looks dumb on top of that cab, right? I'm thinking of getting a 2x12 someday... right now it's a night train cab, and it's a celestion super 65, yeah I got it for $30 or something stupid low like that.

Here's how I set mine up, generally. I'll generally just use the guitar vol. for solos.
      Deep: Out
      Presence: 3
      Treble: 3 or 4
      Mid: 6 or 7
      Bass: 3 or 4
      Tone Shift: out

Reverb B:1.5
      Reverb A:2

Ultra Gain
      Vol. 2.5
      Lead 1/2: lead 1
      Gain: 6 or7

Classic Gain
      Vol: 2
      Clean/Crunch: crunch
      Gain: 10!

The reverb on my clean channel went out recently. I'm pretty sure it's a bad pot, but tightening it down didn't really help. When I move the pot, sometimes the verb kicks back in.

I tried the famous "c12" mod! I have a 2006 DSL and apparently that means that on my amp the treble bleed cap is actually C17 on the main board, so that cap is out.
      The red channel does feel MUCH closer to the green channel but with much more gain, and thankfully much of the same character it used to have.
      Good news! Lead 2 became tighter and less "woofy" in the mids! it seems to have a touch less gain now, which is fine.

it's kinda like "lead 1" because a continuation of "crunch" and "lead 2" became kinda like a cross between the higher gain settings of the old "lead 1" and the lower gain settings of the old "lead 2".

I unsoldered my cap, so I can always stick it back in or put in a different cap to kinda have a mix of this mod and stock.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
        I have a DSL50 and love the clean channel but am still feeling out the "Marshall Crunch". I bought the DSL because I was unhappy with the clean on my old Mesa Single Rect. The problem is now I feel the opposite about the DSL (Love the clean and not sure about the Marshall Crunch). These are undoubtedly good sounding amps however I'm still not sure it's "the amp" for me.
        so you're not happy with the green "crunch" mode, the red "lead 1/lead 2" channel, or both?

Comment

Still have my DSL50 and still love the green channel in crunch mode. It is as good a classic Marshall tone as I have ever played.

Haven't got around to modding C12 yet, but I suspect that's the only way I'm going to learn to love the red channel. Bear in mind I keep the gain on that channel fairly low - I don't do high gain!

Comment

yeah the mod seems to do a lot for making the red channel more "marshall-y"
            I love the green crunch mode but more gain sometimes seems appropriate (a lil punk or hard rock)
            It especially helps to get more gain at low volumes. At 2.5 or so the amp is already loud enough for a small pub, but at the point the power tubes aren't contributing as much gain as the would be by say, 4 or 5 on the master.
            if I could always turn up to at least 4, the crunch channel would probably be enough gain for a lot of the stuff I play, but if I'm at 2 this "it looks red but sounds green" channel after the mod seems to be the best "low volume" solution to that

Comment

btw I sure would love to jam thru one of those 1936 cabs sometime.

Simon, you got the stock speakers in that one still? Is that what you usually use with the DSL?

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                so you're not happy with the green "crunch" mode, the red "lead 1/lead 2" channel, or both?
                I actually like both for what they are but believe I'm simply a Mesa guy Distortionwise. Mesa just released a new Dual Rect with an improved clean channel, and having played it, I could definately see one in my future. I think I might have to wait for one to hit the used market though (in the meantime save some cash).
                Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 08-27-2010, 04:11 AM.
                Roland Cube 60
                Mogami Cables
                Mooer Candy Toppers
                Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  Simon, you got the stock speakers in that one still? Is that what you usually use with the DSL?
                  Yes, it still has the stock G12T-75s, but I fitted the cab with Fizzy Lifters - they're like beam blockers that stick to the inside of the grille cloth instead of attaching to the speaker. I was going to change the speakers but the cab sounds great with the Fizzy Lifters. I use it with the DSL50 and with my Jubilee.

Comment

In the DSL Club for now...
                    Roland Cube 60
                    Mogami Cables
                    Mooer Candy Toppers

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
                      I actually like both for what they are but believe I'm simply a Mesa guy Distortionwise. Mesa just released a new Dual Rect with an improved clean channel and having played it I could definately see one in my future. I think I might have to wait for one to hit the used market though (in the meantime save some cash).
                      ah, if it's just a matter of taste, then that's that.
                      The DSL does have a specific flavor. So do dual recs... one's not a substitute for the other I guess!

DSL's in decent condition or better fetch about $600-700 on ebay, so there's about a third of your Mesa fund!

Comment

ugh u bastards with ur nice cabz! :::shakes fist:::

Comment

Fuse, I would suggest you check one of these out and talk to Tiffany (at least I think that was her name) about getting Private Jacks put into it instead of Texas Heats. You want classic Marshall? I think you need Greenbacks.

Comment

I wonder what my amp would sound like with the texas heats.

either way I could always sell em and swap em, I guess.

I'll have to look into that later. I'm saving for a strat lol

Comment

Here's my DSL 50 as it sits atop my Marshal 4x12s...

What's not to like? Clean, Crunch, and Liquify. All in a package that will scare children of any age.
                              Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                              I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Working...
                              X