No announcement yet.

Marshall-In-A-Box pedal for under $100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall-In-A-Box pedal for under $100?

Used Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I'd buy a Rat, and be done with it.

Comment

You may try the BYOC Shredder.
        From the description:
        Sometimes there's a thin line between what's an overdrive, what's a fuzz, and what's a
        distortion. The Marshall Shredmaster is definitely a full on 80's heavy metal distortion. But it
        also has the dynamics to pull off a very nice overdrive tone as well. The BYOC Shredder kit
        packs all the tone of the original pedal with volume, gain, bass, treble, and contour knobs into a
        box that is half the size of the original... and with true bypass. It's voiced to turn even a 6 watt
        open back combo with an 8" speaker into wall of Marshall full stacks. It's like having a JCM
        series in a box. Rock on!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Man! So many pedals. But a lot of recommendations for the Crunchbox and a Wampler pedal. (I'm liking the plextortion) For some who asked, I'm putting this thru an EVH 5150 III 50 watt. There's a major volume jump switching from ch.1 clean to ch.2 dirty (which has a Marshally tone) so I'm just gonna use a pedal for my "ch.2" distortion.
          Originally posted by everdrone
          I have gas probz myselfs

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
            Alot of the Wampler stuff is awesome...I highly recommend Wampler!
            I agree. Loving the Wampler Ecstasy (altho more Dumble-esque than Marshall-esque) and looking forward to trying a Plexi Drive. The extra $$$ would probably be well spent.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

If you can find a used one, there aren't many brit sounding tones I can't get out of a Fulltone Plimsoul, with a little tweaking involved.
              - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Thanks everyone for your reccommendations. I'm looking at the Joyo's British Sound and Crunch Distortion. For $40 each and true bypass w/prime shipping on amazon... Kind of a hard deal to pass up. And they sound pretty good too. But I would really like a Wampler Plextortion, just gotta wait to find a used one...
                I have gas probz myselfs

Comment

I really like the Marshallish flavor of my Fulltone OCD.
                  Originally posted by Frankly
                  PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
                  Originally posted by Diocletian
                  Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Blackstar HT Drive made by ex-Marshall guys. Great pedal - one valve and S/S components, sounds great. I used mine through the clean channel of a Marshall Jubilee 50 head and it sounded a lot better than the amp's own drive channel.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
                      I really like the Marshallish flavor of my Fulltone OCD.
                      Just finish watching a couple videos of it. Sounds pretty good!
                      I have gas probz myselfs

Comment

The difference in our respective ages I guess, but this does not sound like the Marshall I hear in my head:

But this does:

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

So many years after....and I still think that a JCM800 is an 80's version of the late rather thin middy sounding 70's Marshalls...not a great sound to me...never was.
                          The poodlehaired ones might disagree
                          And the later metal generation too....but they where the start of buzzy stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                            Alot of the Wampler stuff is awesome (also not exactly a JCM800 but the Wampler Sovereign is GREAT!), CMAT Mods Brownie, or MI Audio Crunch Box. But I highly recommend Wampler!
                            Yup!. The Sovereign is awesome but, not exactly a hot-rodded JCM800 in-a-box. The Sovereign is the best pedal to build YOUR OWN distinctive signature distortion.

To the OP:

Don't waste your money several times (buying cheap pedal after pedal), save a bit more and get a Wampler Plextortion !!!
                            No regret.

Note: the Plexi Drive is an awesome marshallizer pedal, if you use it at the end of your gain chain, as an amp simulator, just before modulation and delays. Anything you throw before gets inmediatelly marshallized (in the JMT45 to cranked Super-Lead range, NOT HIGH GAIN BUT THAT'S THE MARSHALL' SOUND I HAVE IN MY MIND). It will automatically marshallize your clean, overdrived or drived sound so, you can still use your current pedals in any way and make them marshallized.
                            Last edited by hermetico; 11-04-2012, 03:02 PM.
                            My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                            My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by Megagwar View Post
                              Thanks everyone for your reccommendations. I'm looking at the Joyo's British Sound and Crunch Distortion. For $40 each and true bypass w/prime shipping on amazon... Kind of a hard deal to pass up. And they sound pretty good too. But I would really like a Wampler Plextortion, just gotta wait to find a used one...
                              I'm a believer that when it comes to some kinds of gear, specially pedals, you don't want either extreme. You don't want to fork out $500 for a simple over inflated overdrive pedal, but you don't want the $30 special with the crap pots and switches either (most of the times, MXRs $30 ODs they had on sale on GC being the exception).

I bet you those Joyo pedals sound ok but the build quality won't be there. From what I've read, they're just schematics taken from other builders, so kind of like Bugera, I don't think they'll sound bad at all.

Just shop around. I bought my version 1 Bluesbreaker for like $50 a couple of years ago even though thanks to John Mayer they were going for crazy money on eBay. Keep an eye out on the Gear Page, the amount of movement in the pedal classifieds is insane to even keep up with, and good deals are to be had.
                              Last edited by tc; 11-04-2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                                The difference in our respective ages I guess, but this does not sound like the Marshall I hear in my head:

But this does:

The OP was asking for a JCM800 style pedal which I think the crunch box does. Claptons Cream tone and playing were stellar , why couldn't Eric do just one raw Marshall toned CD and rock out , sorry I got off topic but still
                                When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Working...
                                X