No announcement yet.

Marshall-In-A-Box pedal for under $100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall-In-A-Box pedal for under $100?

Tech 21 British is also an awesome pedal...Don't think I've seen this one mentioned?
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I'll look into the Lovepedal Plexi/800. From what TGWIF, seems close. And from a video, sound close too. Hmmm now I'm stuck.... Lovepedal Plexi 800 or Box of Rock. I'll like how both sound.
      Originally posted by everdrone
      I have gas probz myselfs

Comment

I've heard great things about the Purple Plexi 800. I'd stay away from the Box of Rock. While it's an amazing pedal, it's got WAY less gain than you'd be expecting. It's modeled after a JTM-45.

I'd look into the Menatone King of the Britains. I got mine used for $140. Really, really nice pedal.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

You`re going to be putting a pedal thur the clean of a 5150lll ? Get out your credit card and get a nice pedal. I`ve tried out enough OD/Distortion pedals over the last year to find that you usually get what you pay for.

or myabe this

When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984 View Post
            For under $100 the Crunch Box for sure or if you can find one a John Spina modded DS-1. If you can swing it for around $150 used there's the Wampler Plextortion and Pinnacle. I wouldn't call the Pinnacle a JCM 800 in a box but it is killer hot rodded Marshall Plexi in a box for sure
            Hmm.. Never thought of my Spina modded DS1 as a Jcm800 sounding pedal. maybe Im not cranking loud enough
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Tonight, I took my Marshall Gov'nor II to the rehearsal room to really hear it loud for the first time since owning it. Before, I listened to it on all my amps at home and deemed it a very worthy JCM800 emulator.

I cranked it up loud through my Bogner's clean and plexi channels, as well as my EL-84 Gibson Goldtone. I still can't believe I got it so cheap. Being made by Marshall, you've got to give it the benefit of the doubt for getting Marshall OD, and it does.

It really sounded great at doing a stock to modded JCM800 tone, and I know that tone well. I was an 80's teen playing the Sunset Strip for Chrissakes. LOL I've got a Jubilee fullstack in my music room. haha It's not necessarily the sound I go for now, but I still love ripping it up on a modded JCM800 tone.

There's a sweet spot on both the gain and volume, where you can control the grit and the balls. If you find that spot on the Gov'nor, or just about any similar pedal, you'll find the sound you want. But what most pedals have is ONE tone control. The Gov'nor II gives you treble, mid, bass, and deep, just like a DSL amp. You'll never suffer from a shift in EQ when you click it on, because you've got so much control over it's EQ.
              For less than $100, the Gov'nor II is a good pedal to have in your arsenal.

Personally, I don't use it as a primary sound, just because I've got my Bogner XTC setup like a Hiwatt clean, grindy plexi, and big throaty Cantrell type sound, where I use my guitar's volume control, or a Klon, Classic OD, or Fuzz Face.

But, I'm definitely hanging onto the Gov'nor, just to use as a secret weapon pedal when I want to make any clean amp sound like a cranked Marshall. It's very good at that.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                Wow..totally skipped the Lovepedal Plexi/800! . I have only heard of it, not read about it..but forgot plum about it!
                My guess is its a budget pedal , like the
                "Superlead" that is mostly hype, and not a really Boutique engineered pedal, like the best of the Lovepedals.
                I want the original Lovepedal "Purple Plexi", but as you well know, they have been out of production for quite some time, and now are exhorbitant in price.... between 3 and 4 hundred dolalrs.
                The Lovepedal "Superlead" has had a lukewarm reception.Its a budget pedal.
                You also totally skiped the Wampler Plextortion, I never said that a Plexi Drive is some jcm800 in a box, i've clearly stated: JMT45 to SuperLead sound. Just marshallizes everything thrown before.
                But, Wampler has the Plextortion that makes the JCM800 sound very well.
                My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Geeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz so many friggin pedals! The ecstasy is a nice pedal..... But out of my range. The plexitone sounds nice. Wampler sounds nice. Lovepedal sounds nice. Box of rock sounds nice. The guv'ner sounds nice. Man. I really like how they all sound. Im just gonna have to save and get one. Thanks again for all the reccommendations.
                  Originally posted by everdrone
                  I have gas probz myselfs

Comment

Originally posted by Megagwar View Post
                    I'll look into the Lovepedal Plexi/800. From what TGWIF, seems close. And from a video, sound close too. Hmmm now I'm stuck.... Lovepedal Plexi 800 or Box of Rock. I'll like how both sound.
                    Careful with the Lovepedal Plexi/800....I found it as a noisey pedal..
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      Hmm.. Never thought of my Spina modded DS1 as a Jcm800 sounding pedal. maybe Im not cranking loud enough
                      I used to tell people that the modded DS1 was kind of like an 800 on steroids..I still have one of my own modded DS1s and I don't use it much actually...These days the pedal actually sounds kinda buzzy and harsh to my ears... ;o) My current favs are the Crunch Box that I built,A RAT that I built,and the Tech 21 British...I only use the BOR as a boost and leave it on all the time..

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                        Tonight, I took my Marshall Gov'nor II to the rehearsal room to really hear it loud for the first time since owning it. Before, I listened to it on all my amps at home and deemed it a very worthy JCM800 emulator.

I cranked it up loud through my Bogner's clean and plexi channels, as well as my EL-84 Gibson Goldtone. I still can't believe I got it so cheap. Being made by Marshall, you've got to give it the benefit of the doubt for getting Marshall OD, and it does.

It really sounded great at doing a stock to modded JCM800 tone, and I know that tone well. I was an 80's teen playing the Sunset Strip for Chrissakes. LOL I've got a Jubilee fullstack in my music room. haha It's not necessarily the sound I go for now, but I still love ripping it up on a modded JCM800 tone.

There's a sweet spot on both the gain and volume, where you can control the grit and the balls. If you find that spot on the Gov'nor, or just about any similar pedal, you'll find the sound you want. But what most pedals have is ONE tone control. The Gov'nor II gives you treble, mid, bass, and deep, just like a DSL amp. You'll never suffer from a shift in EQ when you click it on, because you've got so much control over it's EQ.
                        For less than $100, the Gov'nor II is a good pedal to have in your arsenal.

Personally, I don't use it as a primary sound, just because I've got my Bogner XTC setup like a Hiwatt clean, grindy plexi, and big throaty Cantrell type sound, where I use my guitar's volume control, or a Klon, Classic OD, or Fuzz Face.

But, I'm definitely hanging onto the Gov'nor, just to use as a secret weapon pedal when I want to make any clean amp sound like a cranked Marshall. It's very good at that.
                        Agree, great, great pedal.
                        My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                        My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                          I used to tell people that the modded DS1 was kind of like an 800 on steroids..I still have one of my own modded DS1s and I don't use it much actually...These days the pedal actually sounds kinda buzzy and harsh to my ears... ;o) My current favs are the Crunch Box that I built,A RAT that I built,and the Tech 21 British...I only use the BOR as a boost and leave it on all the time..
                          I thought the Spina modded DS-1 sounded exactly like a JCM800..... when I plugged it into my JCM800.

But then, so did my Spina modded TS9 and my Rat.....when I plugged either into my JCM800.
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I owned a Marshall JCM800... the plexi tone is much better in my opinion.

Comment

Amt m1 or m2

Comment

The samples I've heard of the Carl Martin Plexitone are pretty good, but that's certainly not under $100
                                "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Working...
                                X