banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passive bass pickups with active EQ--underrated setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a SansAmp as well at some point. The key to those is that you can actually blend some OD with the clean tone. Otherwise, they just sound like a colored DI-box with an analog cab-sim.

The thing about emphasizing the clank without any distortion is you're left with a bass tone whose waveform pretty much looks like a drum, LOL. Even those funk slap tones are compressed to hell and back.

You don't have to overdo the distortion, man. Just trust me. Add just a hint and just blend it in behind the clean tone. You'd be surprised to hear how good it sounds without actually sounding like Lemmy.

Plenty of overdriven grit on these tones.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-01-2023, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Don’t forget, a little band-passed chorus goes a long way. That’s an old Andy Wallace trick and sounds amazing on those bell-like piano sounding basses I love so much. Tire me by RATM or An Evening With El Diablo by Chevelle, amazing bass sounds.

The most critical thing a bassist must do is mute the notes he’s not playing. I’m sick of having to hi-pass individual notes because a dumb@ss client doesn’t realise he’s letting his low B string flop around.
      Last edited by El Dunco; 11-01-2023, 09:22 PM.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by El Dunco View Post
        Don’t forget, a little band-passed chorus goes a long way. That’s an old Andy Wallace trick and sounds amazing on those bell-like piano sounding basses I love so much. Tire me by RATM or An Evening With El Diablo by Chevelle, amazing bass sounds.

The most critical thing a bassist must do is mute the notes he’s not playing. I’m sick of having to hi-pass individual notes because a dumb@ss client doesn’t realise he’s letting his low B string flop around.
        A good reason I don't often track 4 strings on a 5--it's in order to avoid resonances that trigger the 5th string, even if only slightly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          I had a SansAmp as well at some point. The key to those is that you can actually blend some OD with the clean tone. Otherwise, they just sound like a colored DI-box with an analog cab-sim.

The thing about emphasizing the clank without any distortion is you're left with a bass tone whose waveform pretty much looks like a drum, LOL. Even those funk slap tones are compressed to hell and back.

You don't have to overdo the distortion, man. Just trust me. Add just a hint and just blend it in behind the clean tone. You'd be surprised to hear how good it sounds without actually sounding like Lemmy.

Plenty of overdriven grit on these tones.
          I definitely dig the Powerslave tone around 25:00, which also seems to be the cleanest.

Comment

• Earlier stuff seems to have a DiMarzio kind of upper middy clack to it.

Comment

• A little bit of the right distortion on bass in a metal mix won't even sound like distortion to a casual listener, it'll just make the bass feel more present and defined.

Count me as another bass player who prefers the sound and feel of a pick when I'm playing metal. I'll go without for a smoother sound when it's called for but I'm all for a pick in most circumstances.

Pick attack on my basses sounded more natural and defined once I got rid of the stock preamps and went with a dual-volume setup.
              Take it to the limit
              Everybody to the limit
              Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

• Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

I definitely dig the Powerslave tone around 25:00, which also seems to be the cleanest.
                Yeah, but not 100% clean either.

I dig his tones for the most part, surprisingly. I thought I wouldn't dig the tones from a P-Bass with flatwounds being played fingerstyle, but I kinda do. Sounds like he plays super aggressively too, which I dig. Surprisingly bright too. I'm not sure I dig how the 3-finger gallops sound on some parts, but I mean. It's ****ing Iron Maiden. Hard to argue with that.

Comment

• The grit I'm hearing sounds like nails on the string.

His later tones on Wicker Man are a lot brighter, IMO.

Kind of funny that he has one of the most up front bass tones in metal but uses a string type that is the opposite of the sound he's going after.

The flatwounds might be for comfort as well. I'm wondering if they're easier to play with fingers. I've never tried any.

Comment

• Quarter Pounders and yer done!
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      Quarter Pounders and yer done!
                      I wish I could agree. Wayyy too bass heavy and overwound for me. I much prefer the 62 Fender Originals. I didn't think I'd like vintage wound pickups for metal but they are so much brighter and clearer. Just boost them through the amp.

If I were to market QP'ers I'd say they're best for rap and hip hop. Super bass heavy, dark, and thick sounding. Like Invaders for bass.

Comment

I wish I could agree. Wayyy too bass heavy and overwound for me. I much prefer the 62 Fender Originals. I didn't think I'd like vintage wound pickups for metal but they are so much brighter and clearer. Just boost them through the amp.

If I were to market QP'ers I'd say they're best for rap and hip hop. Super bass heavy, dark, and thick sounding. Like Invaders for bass.
                        I like them compressed with mid lows boosted and lows rolled slightly.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Low mids to me are the enemy of anything tone-related, LOL. Especially if you're playing a P-Bass and an Ampeg head., Low mid overload!

JMO, of course.

Comment

Low mids to me are the enemy of anything tone-related, LOL. Especially if you're playing a P-Bass and an Ampeg head., Low mid overload!

JMO, of course.
                            Gene Simmons, perhaps?

Comment

Gene Simmons, perhaps?
                              Well, his bass tone fit his band at the time.

But it's not really Metal.

I'm just totally anti low-mids, but that's kind of an oxymoron as well because I like Recto cabs and Recto and 5150 heads, hahaha. 99% of the time, I end up dialing down some 300-500 Hz in almost every Metal guitar sound that I do. As soon as you do, everything just sounds so much bigger, clearer, broader, just overall better. However, go too far, and any sense of chunk disappears from the guitars.

And well, you know my approach to mixing bass. My bass tones have a huge void in the low mids as well.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-04-2023, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Well, his bass tone fit his band at the time.

But it's not really Metal.

I'm just totally anti low-mids, but that's kind of an oxymoron as well because I like Recto cabs and Recto and 5150 heads, hahaha. 99% of the time, I end up dialing down some 300-500 Hz in almost every Metal guitar sound that I do. As soon as you do, everything just sounds so much bigger, clearer, broader, just overall better. However, go too far, and any sense of chunk disappears from the guitars.

And well, you know my approach to mixing bass. My bass tones have a huge void in the low mids as well.
                                For me around 400hz is usually the first to go for any instrument. If anything gets it it is after cuts to create some glue in the mix.

Comment

Working...
                                X