No announcement yet.

Gibson v Dean trial to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never mind the headstock.... that Dean truss rod cover is something only a mother could love.
    That is a generic Asian truss rod cover. I first saw it on Chandler necks in the 80's, some Jacksons, Aria Pro, Cort, etc. It's easy to make, so why not?

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

• No way to spin this, Dean lost. They might not have to pay millions, but it will impact their line of guitars moving forward.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• I disagree, Dave. In the court of public opinion, Gibson just keeps digging their hole deeper.

Comment

• In my mind, just me personally, Gibson has tainted their reputation for me. Yes, I own Gibsons, but seeing them blatantly publicly act like this, I'm less likely to buy another Gibson ever seeing this case play out. Any non-Gibson shaped guitar just got way more appealing to me. I need to see what I've been missing and explore unique guitars from no-name/bouteek builders and luthiers from now on. If Gibson can survive on just collectors/investors, more power to them. Their history was great, now it's over and time to move on, for me.

Comment

• I also see this whole thing as a lose-lose.
            Gibson looks bad, Dean has to spend money to defend themselves, all of it has to drive costs up eventually.....which makes guitars even more expensive.

At the end of the day, while I love my Deans, and my Gibsons, I'll buy what I like and not really care too much about who is running the companies, or what name is on the headstock.
            ​​​​
            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

• I have 5 Gibsons and I still don't have a dog in this fight. If I find a guitar I like, Gibson, Dean or whatever Iam going to buy it. I don't care what the idiots in the boardroom do. If I bought products based on corporate responsibility, I would never buy anything including gas and food.

Comment

• Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                I disagree, Dave. In the court of public opinion, Gibson just keeps digging their hole deeper.
                Well, it doesn't do much for their reputation, but reading through it, they clearly won this court case. Coming injunctions will most likely decimate the current Dean line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  I have 5 Gibsons and I still don't have a dog in this fight. If I find a guitar I like, Gibson, Dean or whatever Iam going to buy it. I don't care what the idiots in the boardroom do. If I bought products based on corporate responsibility, I would never buy anything including gas and food.
                  I have a 2020 SG here, it's incredible.

I mean, while this isn't a great look for Gibson, if I was following the Dean closely I'd have gripes over the years too -I mean, I've had enough run ins with Dean Z to know all about that idiot, second then I guess he sold it and they made basically import pawn shop guitars that were laughible -if I am getting the history right, then whatever since making silly looking guitars that apparently are pretty good and people enjoy.... so whatever ******ry Gibson's being led by really will ebb through various seasons too,

All I know for certain, is Gibson makes a killer imports and made in USA guitars right now and Dean may also (but damn they are hideous looking to me -so hard pass)... and this verdict allows both to persist in some reasonable win for both.. so all good
                  Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-29-2022, 09:04 AM.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Apparently, Gibson is going after Heritage guitars next. I guess they want to be the most hated company in the industry. Soon, they'll be barred from NAMM shows, protestor will hold rallies in front of headquarters in Nashville, there will be doxxing of executives on Twitter and Reddit, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      Apparently, Gibson is going after Heritage guitars next. I guess they want to be the most hated company in the industry. Soon, they'll be barred from NAMM shows, protestor will hold rallies in front of headquarters in Nashville, there will be doxxing of executives on Twitter and Reddit, etc.
                      I guess what ever historic relationship between the two are gone now then.

They've already gone after a lot of smaller makers that dont make the news -mostly just cease and desists...2 of my friends specifically, I imagine some of yours too.

I would agree, Going after Heritage would be a really bad move, Dean not as much since their guitars are so more appealing to a different group -Heritage is apples for apples among consumers and would resonate in a much stronger way IMO
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Time for this to go viral...

Click image for larger version

Name:	mean.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	6176480

Comment

• I am sure it is just business. I haven't heard that Gibson would go after Heritage, but I am sure no one who works as an executive at Gibson has any ties to Kalamazoo anymore. I have to look at this from another angle. Maybe it will force companies to come up with their own legacy....new designs, etc.

Comment

• I haven't heard that Gibson would go after Heritage,
                            Gibson and Heritage clash over redacted court filing | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

Comment

• This is over 2 years ago, is this still going on?

Comment

• ^^^ Yes. ^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X