Gibson v Dean trial to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pskorz View Post

Fmic owns charvel now, but I think in the 80s they did stop charvel and Kramer from using the fender headstock. That’s when both companies altered it slightly and it looked like a strat head with a chunk carved out of the circular “scroll” end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
      Yeah- Fender haven't done this, wiith the strat and tele shape?!! :O

I think this is a stupid trial/case. What we need, is quality guitars and happiness!! nothing more, nothing less...

(thankfully, one can choose to buy a Gibson or not, right? )
      IIRC Fender tried to sue one of more of the clone makers in the late 70s or early 80s, and it was ruled that the body shape was inherently functional and therefore couldn't be trademarked, while the trademarks on the headstock shapes were upheld.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      They haven't sent any cease and desist to Charvel, that I'm aware of.
      FMIC bought Charvel/Jackson in 2001, which is why you can get Strathead Charvels now. BITD they sent Charvel a cease and desist, so they quit offering Strat headstocks to the general public in 1984 or 1985. For several years Charvels were only available with the Jackson-style pointy headstock until the design pskorz posted was introduced for the Charvel import line in 1989. They built a few one-off Stratheads for endorsers, but that was it until the 25th Anniversary reissues in 2004.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

• Originally posted by dystrust View Post

IIRC Fender tried to sue one of more of the clone makers in the late 70s or early 80s, and it was ruled that the body shape was inherently functional and therefore couldn't be trademarked, while the trademarks on the headstock shapes were upheld.

FMIC bought Charvel/Jackson in 2001, which is why you can get Strathead Charvels now. BITD they sent Charvel a cease and desist, so they quit offering Strat headstocks to the general public in 1984 or 1985. For several years Charvels were only available with the Jackson-style pointy headstock until the design pskorz posted was introduced for the Charvel import line in 1989. They built a few one-off Stratheads for endorsers, but that was it until the 25th Anniversary reissues in 2004.
        Ah. That explains it. I have a hard time following all the sharks swallowing the salmons. I don't often keep up with it, unless I see two logos on something I own.

Comment

• I love that this lawsuit makes the implicit assumption that consumers are illiterate . . . and rely on headstock shape to tell which manufacturer makes a guitar.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

• I am not too hip to the crux of the Dean suit. Gibson probably has legitimate gripes against a lot of parties copycatting them, but that original suit against PRS over the single cut-which looks nothing like a Les Paul-really just made clear that they’re after anyone who sells more guitars than them. I realize it’s entirely new ownership now, but I really don’t get the point of going after Dean.

Comment

• Gibson is run by miserable bastards.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

• Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                Gibson is run by miserable bastards.
                I think they know that musicians are not their target audience. The people that would buy a $75 T shirt from the Hard Rock Cafe are their audience.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I think they know that musicians are not their target audience. The people that would buy a $75 T shirt from the Hard Rock Cafe are their audience.
                  Are there really enough ****** bags to support a company like Gibson though?
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

• Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Are there really enough ****** bags to support a company like Gibson though?
                    Oh yeah there are. Because those types don't just buy one limited edition guitar...

Comment

• Well I donated to the Gibson Trademark Defense Fund yesterday by buying an extremely-comfortable-and-good-looking for the office Gibson hat. Which I'll wear while playing my Dean bass. Look out world.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

haha. this was a really funny comment -with some truth to it which always makes things funnier
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Gibson is run by miserable bastards.
                          Im trying to think of a large private equity held company that isn't run by miserable bastards...

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Oh yeah there are. Because those types don't just buy one limited edition guitar...
                            Shall we name names?

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Shall we name names?
                              I have had many students like that.

Comment

Oh yeah there are. Because those types don't just buy one limited edition guitar...
                                I do. I own one, bought brand new. And there shall not be another. Or a bought new Gibson period.
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X