X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone.
    Is it real or fake?
    Last edited by AnnLinx; 06-22-2023, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• Can't say I've ever seen a Duncan tele or other Fender type with the logo on the flatwork, but there might be a model I'm not familiar with. That is the old logo for Duncan. My first reaction is it's not a Duncan, unless it's an old model I haven't seen before.

Comment

• beaubrummels, thank you.

Sorry, some problems with the photos, so I'm posting them again. Maybe someone else will give their opinion.

Comment

• the grey flatwork throws me off too, never seen that on a duncan tele neck pup

Comment

• Do you know which model it’s supposed to be? I haven’t seen that either but if it’s a model we’re not familiar with it may be more possible.

Comment

• Looking at the Duncan line and my own Duncan tele necks, it's not a Duncan. Duncan doesn't use white cloth. It's either white plastic insulation, or a yellow or aged cloth pushback. None of them have gray flatwork.

Comment

• After all these years, it seems like I've finally fallen for a FAKE seymour duncan pup.

The "Seymour Duncan" seem to have been erased as it is misaligned - the "S" is directly below the A-string screw pole, and the "c" directly below the B-string screw pole.

I initially thought this DD was a custom order without the logo, but I may have been ripped off. I didn't notice it when I bought it (used) and was taking DCR measurements. Everything else looks legit except for the erased, misaligned logo.

Oh well...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230703_215954.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	6239174 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230703_220024.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	6239175 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230703_220044.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	6239176 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230703_221408.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	6239177 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230703_221455.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	6239178

Green + Red

Name:	IMG_20230703_221606.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	6239179

Black + White

Name:	IMG_20230703_221633.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	6239180

Comment

• Even the orientation is not correct

APH1 is genuine. As you can see, it's also a bridge position humbucker.

Name:	IMG_20230704_011955.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6239188

Comment

• The only thing that looks off to me is the sticker. I have bridges, necks, trembuckers and standard all vary in orientation of the screws vs the baseplate logo. 17.06k is within tolerance for a Trembucker Distortion or JB. I even have a standard JB that is 17.0k.

It's possible the logo was printed off-center. Haven't seen it before, but it could happen. I believe those are pad-printed, where you get only one shot, if it's off, you're stuck. You either waste a bobbin, or let it go if supply is short.

Can you see the magnet from the edge? Does it look ceramic?

I'd install it and see if it sounds like a Distortion.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      The only thing that looks off to me is the sticker. I have bridges, necks, trembuckers and standard all vary in orientation of the screws vs the baseplate logo. 17.06k is within tolerance for a Trembucker Distortion or JB. I even have a standard JB that is 17.0k.

It's possible the logo was printed off-center. Haven't seen it before, but it could happen. I believe those are pad-printed, where you get only one shot, if it's off, you're stuck. You either waste a bobbin, or let it go if supply is short.

Can you see the magnet from the edge? Does it look ceramic?

I'd install it and see if it sounds like a Distortion.
                      I can't see the magnets because of the tape. I don't want to open or install it as I'm trying to return it and get my money back.

You really think this is genuine?

Comment

• Originally posted by fretburner View Post

I can't see the magnets because of the tape. I don't want to open or install it as I'm trying to return it and get my money back.

You really think this is genuine?
                        I wouldn't expect a counterfeit to have the logo printed and then removed while still leaving an impression. Was this a used pickup? The other elements seem correct. Most fakes don't have a stamped baseplate. Earlier in this thread I think there was one instance of a faked baseplate that was stamped really well but had some tell-tale sign it wasn't right - check back earlier in this thread to compare. I don't have a 2019 or newer Duncan to compare the sticker. Looks like the font is different. I don't know if that is correct or not for current production.

It looks mostly right, but need someone else to chime in here, if I'm missing something.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I wouldn't expect a counterfeit to have the logo printed and then removed while still leaving an impression. Was this a used pickup? The other elements seem correct. Most fakes don't have a stamped baseplate. Earlier in this thread I think there was one instance of a faked baseplate that was stamped really well but had some tell-tale sign it wasn't right - check back earlier in this thread to compare. I don't have a 2019 or newer Duncan to compare the sticker. Looks like the font is different. I don't know if that is correct or not for current production.

It looks mostly right, but need someone else to chime in here, if I'm missing something.
                          Page 17 post nos. 251 and 253...

Same exact serial, date stamp, and model no. as mine...

Duncan support said it's fake as the serial and model no. don't match.

Damn!

Name:	image_108971.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	6239230 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_108971.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	6239232 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230704_011955.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6239231

Comment

• Is this another fake?

Name:	Screenshot_2023-07-04-14-41-40-230_org.mozilla.firefox-edit.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	6239236

Comment

• Looks better, but you might be best running the serial by Duncan support.

Are you trying to get a Distortion, or a Custom 5? I'm sure I could find a spare Custom, Custom Custom or Custom 5 I could sell you one of mine that are legit. I have an old MJ Distortion also, but I was kind of keeping it. But I'm not really using it, so there's that.

Comment

• @fretburner: Self cutting screws look good, instead of the above example.
                                fonts look good.
                                the label printing is a bit of center and more to the bottom, but could be normal. My PUs are mostly more off center to the top of the label.
                                i say you‘re good to go

Comment

Working...
                                X