Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After reading another thread about fake chinese copy that looks like real stuff, I was wondering if my JB (2nd hand) is real... what do you think about it? it reads 16.04 Kohm

thx

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231213_091432 (1).jpg
Views:	281
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	6262751

Name:	IMG_20231213_091410_1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	6262752

Comment

• I've reported this to ebay twice and they do nothing about it. Someone at Seymour Duncan might want to do something about it - there will be people buying these thinking they're getting real Duncans! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166493213872?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mFXWxhm6Tmi&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=Cr2uwBfl QK u&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	6263809

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	6263810
      My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
      MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
      Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Comment

• Those last ones are real bro. Can't you tell?!

Comment

• Originally posted by orpheo View Post
          Those last ones are real bro. Can't you tell?!

Obviously they aren't even to anyone that's done 30 seconds of research, but it is hard to enforce property rights when stuff like this is produced in a country that doesn't recognize them. But there are certainly fakes that are a lot closer than this abomination, so that's why we have this thread.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            Those last ones are real bro. Can't you tell?!

Obviously I can tell, but not everyone is as clever as me.
            BTW Ebay responded almost instantly and told me they'd taken the listing down.
            My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
            MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
            Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Comment

• Thank you for reporting those! I've seen people buying them and then trying to resell as authentic Duncans, even though they are rather poor fakes :/

Comment

• Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                After reading another thread about fake chinese copy that looks like real stuff, I was wondering if my JB (2nd hand) is real... what do you think about it? it reads 16.04 Kohm

thx

Name:	IMG_20231213_091432 (1).jpg
Views:	281
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	6262751

Name:	IMG_20231213_091410_1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	6262752
                Good to go, my friend. Nothing unusual there

Comment

• I have a feeling this is a fake but thought it was worth an ask. It's said to be out of a Fender deluxe lone star Strat. Initially said to be a Pearly Gates, but clearly not. After i brought this up they said yeah, i was right, and its actually a trembucker... Anyway, my concern started with the name, "Evenly Voice Harmonics", with the VoiceD missing the D. I have only seen these referred to as VoiceD. I also can't see "made in the USA" under Seymour Duncan on the back. Unfortunately these are the best pics I have. A few things look correct, but i dont want to get stuck with a knockoff. Seller states it measured at 8.7k.Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Originally posted by 78Foxes View Post
                    I have a feeling this is a fake but thought it was worth an ask. It's said to be out of a Fender deluxe lone star Strat. Initially said to be a Pearly Gates, but clearly not. After i brought this up they said yeah, i was right, and its actually a trembucker... Anyway, my concern started with the name, "Evenly Voice Harmonics", with the VoiceD missing the D. I have only seen these referred to as VoiceD. I also can't see "made in the USA" under Seymour Duncan on the back. Unfortunately these are the best pics I have. A few things look correct, but i dont want to get stuck with a knockoff. Seller states it measured at 8.7k.Thanks for the help!
                    Looks like an early Custom Shop '78 model.

Although faint and grainy in the photo, it does say "Made in USA" under the SD stamp, which supports this being a very early model.

My vote is legitimate for this one.

Comment

• Thanks Masta' C. Is the hairline crack in the cover an issue? And is it fixable? Thanks again.

Comment

• My white bobbin pickups have multiple hairline cracks. I even had HQ inspect them to make sure nothing was wrong. But no issues with them at all.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• I got this pearly gates for Christmas, little worried cause it does not say Made in America. Let me know what you think. Thanks
                          Attached Files

Comment

• I have been seeing a LOT of pickups with this larger baseplate logo and no "Made in America" coming on the market, from OEM pulls to Custom Shop and even the newer production versions of the '78 model pickups straight out of retail packaging. So, yes, it does seem this may be the new baseplate design.

The change seems to have occurred around August 2022 from what I can tell. There are a few later examples with the "Made in America" logo, but also a few oddballs from the pandemic era that were produced with blank baseplates and SD decals because of supply chain shortages at that time.

Side note: If the baseplates are now being sourced from overseas, which I have suspected for a while that they probably are to save on costs, it's possible SD is restricted from putting a "Made in ___" stamp on the baseplate that is different from the actual country of origin for that part. If this is the case, then the pickups themselves would still be considered "Made in the USA" once they are constructed, but the individual components could very well be from somewhere else. I know they switched to YFS, a Taiwanese fastener manufacturer, for many of their screws and hex poles several years ago, so this happens from time to time.

Comment

• I'm pretty certain this one is legit but figured I'd post anyway. I can always attempt to have SD run the serial number and confirm that it's a Seth but the serial is hard to read. I guess I didn't get a pic of the top side.

Name:	20240105_130623.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	6265958 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240105_130631.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	6265959

JC
                              -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                              -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                              -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                              -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                              -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                              -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

• at first glance, they look fine. i do love a pair of seths!

Comment

Working...
                                X