NAD - Frankly I am impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    I used to have an old XV212 combo until a resistor let the smoke out. I pulled the amp out and continue to use the cabinet. Mine was old enough to not have the bias switch. And it took 6L6's. Still have a couple of the original 6L6 Telefunken tubes from it. And they're still functional.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
    Now would be a great time to sell those teleFunkers.

Ya know it might not help manufacturers at all, but I bet us amp users could get by for a good while just by swapping/selling all our spare tubes we have collecting dust. (hopefully they're put away in a box or somewhere safe not collecting dust) There really must be at least a million good tubes just hiding away in boxes and drawers.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      I would guess 100w is 4 Pentode, 50w is either 4 in Triode or 2 Pentode, 25w is 2 in Triode. I don't think it would be wise to have a circuit that can wear down one tube individually.
      Thanks for the explanation man that makes a lot more sense. I am quickly falling in love with this amp. My only regret is I didn't buy one in the 80's. I am going to start playing around with foot switches today.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Now would be a great time to sell those teleFunkers.

Ya know it might not help manufacturers at all, but I bet us amp users could get by for a good while just by swapping/selling all our spare tubes we have collecting dust. (hopefully they're put away in a box or somewhere safe not collecting dust) There really must be at least a million good tubes just hiding away in boxes and drawers.
        Sell? Nah. But I am thinking about putting one into my Picovalve in the near future, just to enjoy how it sounds.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
          My first channel switcher was a x100b circa 1994. The Fozzy Bear series I called it for the fabric covering. Ran 34's as I recall. The 25 watt setting always seemed to lack the ooomph in the low end compared to the 50 or 100 so I ran it at 50 most of the time. Years later I found an older model like yours for like 75 bucks so I nabbed it without really giving it a good look. Turns out somebody had put 6V6's in it. It worked but gave up after a year or so. Lord knows what the thing actually lived through before I got it. But Fozzy served me well for years in my first band and survived 100 or so gigs. It's long gone but the 4x12 cab is still good as new save the right side which has been great fun for every cat I've had. And Ace is wrong. You can go full Carvin. I rocked a DC127 neck-through that I picked up for two hundred bucks through Fozzy for two years before my first PRS. Mostly rednecks and bikers and nobody every chucked a full beer at me as I was rocking the F outta Sin City or Simple Man.

So enjoy the nostalgia and rock it proud!
          The carpet covering was so you could smell the show, even after the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

The carpet covering was so you could smell the show, even after the show.
            O so true. A forum bro knew I was looking for a Carvin and offered to sell me one at a great price. I appreciate the offer but it was the carpeted Carvin. I already went that route with my Fender M80 and ended up having it rehoused in a new head cabinet. I am never going the carpeted route again.

Comment

For a good 10-15 years, it seemed everything had that muppet covering- cabs, amps, PA speakers. What a terrible idea.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                For a good 10-15 years, it seemed everything had that muppet covering- cabs, amps, PA speakers. What a terrible idea.
                We have seen worse but yes that era was bad

Comment

What was the point of the padded covering?
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                      What was the point of the padded covering?
                      That was so you could roadie them around and set them down harder without damaging anything. It was the alternative to metal corner reinforcement.

Comment

Your Ruby El-34's look Chinese.

Comment

They made okay stuff 40 years ago.
                          However Carvin is no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            It had one benefit, that stuff didn't slide around or fall over when knocked into.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                              Your Ruby El-34's look Chinese.
                              They sound fantastic. I wouldn't mind trying out a set in the Marshall. I have Mullards that sound fantastic in the JCM2000 right now but would be willing to give the Rubys a spin.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

They sound fantastic. I wouldn't mind trying out a set in the Marshall. I have Mullards that sound fantastic in the JCM2000 right now but would be willing to give the Rubys a spin.
                                Im sure they will do the job well.
                                Ruby just relabled Slovak / Russian & Chinese tubes.
                                The Ruby BSTR were all the rage for over a decade.

Comment

Working...
                                X