No announcement yet.

The 2021 "My Next Guitar" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanna build a Warmoth Velocity, which is sort of a shape combining the EB/MM Axis and the EVH models. I was thinking of building it over time using all of the parts I wanted to use in one guitar. It will be fun to curate and bid for one part at a time. Spending that kind of money won't be that painful one part at a time.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really don't need any more guitars until I'm playing out again. In the meantime I'm going to try REALLY hard to settle for finishing my Charvel Model 2 project.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I wanna build a Warmoth Velocity, which is sort of a shape combining the EB/MM Axis and the EVH models. I was thinking of building it over time using all of the parts I wanted to use in one guitar. It will be fun to curate and bid for one part at a time. Spending that kind of money won't be that painful one part at a time.
        Those look really cool, especially the carved top version. What specs are you thinking?

There’s a guy in the Warmoth group who has built six! Kind of cool to find a body/neck you like then get all the tonal
        variants out if it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AD4F10DF-C09B-4BDC-B2ED-A809F5D80B5C.jpeg
Views:	606
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	6042168
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

They're some great looking guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Those look really cool, especially the carved top version. What specs are you thinking?

There’s a guy in the Warmoth group who has built six! Kind of cool to find a body/neck you like then get all the tonal
            variants out if it.

I hadn't seen that pic, although I just joined the Warmoth forum. Mine will have that same headstock, with a scalloped roasted flame maple neck, with black limba body and koa top. Other specs haven't been decided yet, though. Thanks for sharing that pic!

Comment

I can't really think. I have everything I need and I like what I have. Most of what remains is just settling on pickups and wiring for what I have. If I got something new, it'd have to be either a signature model I've always wanted to try (Townshend LP Special, Scholz LP, Malcolm Young, EVH, Gary Moore LP, Gilmour, Clapton, Eric Johnson), or a unique model that I'd like to try (Parker, Steinberg, Zemaitis, Strandberg, Alembic, Gibson BFG gloss finish) or a classic model that's been out of reach (ES-295, ES-230, ES-175, 1950's LP Custom with staple P-90s) I don't really see any of these happening in 2021, however.

Comment

Prolly not 2021, maybe 2022, but I've always wanted a Gibson Les Paul; I was looking at the Standard 50s Gold Top. Might get one if they go on sale next year.
                Regardless, my WIP guitars need lots of work lol.

Comment

Vintage White Kramer Baretta Special. And Kramer case if in stock. That's really all I want in 2021.

Comment

I'm not planning to buy any in 2021 but I plan to buy something at sweetwater's gearfest in 2022.

Was seriously considering a custom shop strat... but the more i think of it, I may just go Mexican and buy a set of after market duncan pups to put in it.

I think i'd have enough saved up for the custom shop by then but I want something I can bring on the megabus without being completely on edge the whole time.

So yeah, thinking the more expensive route is not where I need to be in my next purchase

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                      I'm not planning to buy any in 2021 but I plan to buy something at sweetwater's gearfest in 2022.

Was seriously considering a custom shop strat... but the more i think of it, I may just go Mexican and buy a set of after market duncan pups to put in it.

I think i'd have enough saved up for the custom shop by then but I want something I can bring on the megabus without being completely on edge the whole time.

So yeah, thinking the more expensive route is not where I need to be in my next purchase
                      I think getting a MIM Strat and upgrading it is a better choice. While the Fender CS makes excellent stuff, it isn't exactly a Custom Shop in that you can't specify things that Fender doesn't (or didn't) already do. You also don't get to talk to the people making your guitar.

Comment

Thanks, mincer. Yeah, I actually have a custom shop telecaster that is really nice. It just kills me because I'd like to take it out with me places and really bond with it but I can't afford to replace it if something happen to it. So, yeah, it stays in my bedroom. I have a couple pricey guitars I keep in my bed room. At this point, don't really need any more for that purpose.

Comment

My next guitar, and hopefully the only one I'll be buying for a long time after this, is a totally custom build by a luthier further north in Ontario.

It hasn't been started yet but the neck section will be glued next week and then it's off to the races! Wenge and purple heart neckthrough, ziricote fingerboard, with a single inlay half luminlay and part dichrolam, based loosely on my tattoo (it's a reptile eye with flames). Body will be black limba with contrasting control plates, and a buckeye burl top, probably with a nice purple stain, gold hardware, and had my eye on a gold Schaller Hannes 6 Piezo bridge but it seems they are discontinued!

Cost will be about $4400 CAD all told, with a Gator flight case. And I think the neck profile will be based on my Schecter C-1 Classic, there is just something about it that is incredibly comfy and it isn't flat.

Cheers to more gear in 2021!

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

variants out if it.

Damn, that is a sexy ass pic.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I already have the only 2 guitars I'll ever need but I do plan on spending a bit of money next year to make those 2 even better. Stuff like strap locks, electronics upgrades , some nicer cables and stuff like that. Maybe a nice setup or some fretwork. But as far as guitars I'm done buying them, which sort of feels like winning the lottery.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                                I already have the only 2 guitars I'll ever need but I do plan on spending a bit of money next year to make those 2 even better. Stuff like strap locks, electronics upgrades , some nicer cables and stuff like that. Maybe a nice setup or some fretwork. But as far as guitars I'm done buying them, which sort of feels like winning the lottery.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

What do you have? Please share pics if you can. Would like to hear about these and see them.
                                Play more guitar.

Comment

Working...
                                X